Picked up a Delta Rockwell lathe...and I have a few ???
Guy in my town is retiring and selling off his tools.  This lathe was his father's and it hadn't been used in 20+ years, so it's a little rough-looking.   It has to be 70+ years old.   I picked it up for $75.  It included a spare motor, a face turning plate (I think) and 5-6 gouges.   While it works, everything needs a little TLC to clean it up.  (I might make a new base for it...more of a splay to the legs to give it more stability).

I have a few questions:

1) What model number is it?  You can see from one of my pictures I show the serial number, but I don't think that's the model number.  Where is it located?  Searching for "user manual for a Delta Rockwell 71-910" got me close, but not my exact model.

2) See the picture of my hand in the tailstock?   I added those washers so that the tailstock could be locked to the rail.  (I have the wrench for that nut).  However, withough those washers, there's not enough thread in that bold to lock the tail stock down.  Is there a spacer I'm missing?  I guess I could take up the space with a few more washers, but I assume this isn't the correct way to do it.

Lastly, I know $75 is extremely cheap.  What do you think it is worth?

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
That's a Delta model 1460 lathe, made in 1948.  The 71-xxxx is the serial number.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/DeltaSe...mbers.ashx

It looks to be in good condition, tho missing the cast iron pulley cover on the headstock.  The 12" toolrest is nice to have, and it looks like the banjo is intact.  Were there any other toolrests included?

On the tailstock, can you replace the bolt with one 1/2" or so shorter?  Or perhaps find someone who can extend the threads farther up the shaft?  There shouldn't be a need for those washers, something is off.  

$75 is a good price for a machine in running condition.  I've seen them go anywhere from free to several hundred dollars depending on condition and, more importantly, included accessories. 

Bill.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
Thanks for the reply Bill.  Now I know the model #!!!

Yes, the pulley cover came with it, I took it off in that shot.  It did come with a shorter tool rest, maybe 4" long??

It also has 2 what I'd call sanding disks.  About 12" wide (one of them does have some sandpaper stuck to it)  Do you know what those are for?

(I can include a picture if needed).
Dumber than I appear
(03-09-2020, 07:25 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Thanks for the reply Bill.  Now I know the model #!!!

Yes, the pulley cover came with it, I took it off in that shot.  It did come with a shorter tool rest, maybe 4" long??

It also has 2 what I'd call sanding disks.  About 12" wide (one of them does have some sandpaper stuck to it)  Do you know what those are for?

(I can include a picture if needed).

I posted a reply about the tailstock up in power tools. Short answer: put the tailstock lock-down plate under that ways before you try adding washers.

Pictures of the 12" disks would help. They likely screw onto the drive spindle to convert the lathe into a disk sander. They still sell both flat and conical sanding disks for Shopsmiths. So, pressure-backed adhesive sanding disks are still available for that size disk.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Are those sanding discs right or left hand thread? If one is left hand thread, they make great handwheels. Turn a piece of scrap of the appropriate size, glue it on or even bolt it on. It can still be used as a sanding disc - just apply an adhesive disc. Comes in very handy at times.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Did he have the counter-shaft?
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
Could not find that Delta/Rockwell 71-910 model # but Delta made that style lathe beginning in late 1920’s to ? in 9”, 11” &12” swing versions for both Rockwell, Homecraft, and who knows whatever brand name. This is not only one listed there additional sizes at this site.
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/12596.pdf

Good luck with it!
Bill
(03-08-2020, 10:48 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Guy in my town is retiring and selling off his tools.  This lathe was his father's and it hadn't been used in 20+ years, so it's a little rough-looking.   It has to be 70+ years old.   I picked it up for $75.  It included a spare motor, a face turning plate (I think) and 5-6 gouges.   While it works, everything needs a little TLC to clean it up.  (I might make a new base for it...more of a splay to the legs to give it more stability).

I have a few questions:

1) What model number is it?  You can see from one of my pictures I show the serial number, but I don't think that's the model number.  Where is it located?  Searching for "user manual for a Delta Rockwell 71-910" got me close, but not my exact model.

2) See the picture of my hand in the tailstock?   I added those washers so that the tailstock could be locked to the rail.  (I have the wrench for that nut).  However, withough those washers, there's not enough thread in that bold to lock the tail stock down.  Is there a spacer I'm missing?  I guess I could take up the space with a few more washers, but I assume this isn't the correct way to do it.

Lastly, I know $75 is extremely cheap.  What do you think it is worth?

The tail stock is missing a part.
There should be a casting underneath to allow for adjusting the alignment.
See the first pic on this page for example.
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/d...x?id=14417
Looking at that pic, I’m betting the tailstock won’t line up with the headstock. Seems like that missing part could be made from wood - at least to get started.
VH07V  
I posted a link to the missing part on eBay on the Power Tools forum, when this was first posted (in both forums).  It sold for $25.  Maybe the OP bought it.  
Raised
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"