4" Dust gate recommendations?
Anyone recommend a good 4" dust gate?  I have plastic Rockler and Woodcraft.. They just seem to stop closing.. no matter how I clean them
I've bought them from just about every seller. They all plug.
What I do is nip off the end corners about a half inch long so the dust can be shoved out as you close them.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Shop built ones solve that problem, but I used to drill a 3/16" hole in the back corner to allow the dust to clear. Pretty much the same idea as the one presented by Stwood, just a different approach.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have 4" metal blast gates and have never had any problems. I looked at both Rockler and Woodcraft options and both seemed pretty equal but can't remember which I went with but wouldn't have a problem with either. The metal blast gates cost a bit more but I feel they were worth it.
Cast Aluminum Self-Cleaning Full Blast Gates 4.00" BGSK04 $18.84

[Image: Self-Cleaning-Blast-Gate.jpg]
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
I made my own out of 3/4" ply and 1/4" masonite. They are self cleaning. All kinds of youtube on these. I needed 9 so I sved quite a lot of money. Made a template and used a pattern bit to make the holes for the pipe.
I bought the 5" version of these:

Powertec Blast Gates

Cost effective and they haven't clogged on me at all.

The key to preventing clogs is the sliding gate going through the entirety of the slot every time it's cycled.

Downside is that clearance for the sliding gate is required on both sides of the gate.
I did this.

I just sanded enough off the bottom to make an opening on some.  On others I sawed of just the corners.  I was testing for which method worked better.  They both worked.

I have the metal ones in some positions.

I actually like the plastic ones better.  Easier to move and they dont have to be secured with a screw-knob to stay put.  I rigged a "drag" using a rare earth magnet on my metal ones so that they stay wherever I slide them.

When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

Get metal. You will not be sorry.
John T.
Haven't had any problems with the metal gates.