cutting cement board
(03-16-2020, 09:18 AM)Cooler Wrote: I am installing a new bathtub surround.  I will be using cement board.  I will only need to make a few cuts so I do not want to invest heavily in new equipment.  I am hoping I will only need a special blade for one of my existing saws.

I have available:

Circular saw
Jig saw
Sawzall saw
4½" hand held grinder
Multi-tool
Carbide hand scoring knife (originally purchased to size formica)

Suggestions will prove helpful.

Utility knife and a Surform tool. If you have access to a small piece of wire lath then it works better than a Surform tool to smooth jagged edges.
Cut a 2x3 6" long and bend the lath around the bottom and up each side 1/2". Nail the lath to the block using large head nail like a roofing nail. 
You will have a block with wire lath that will last 10 years with daily use. Dry wall guys used these blocks til Surform tools were sold. Some still prefer the wire lath as it much faster.
mike
(03-18-2020, 03:24 AM)mike4244 Wrote: Utility knife and a Surform tool. If you have access to a small piece of wire lath then it works better than a Surform tool to smooth jagged edges.
Cut a 2x3 6" long and bend the lath around the bottom and up each side 1/2". Nail the lath to the block using large head nail like a roofing nail. 
You will have a block with wire lath that will last 10 years with daily use. Dry wall guys used these blocks til Surform tools were sold. Some still prefer the wire lath as it much faster.
mike

Good tip.  Thanks.

Cooler.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I put my old tile saw blade in my skil saw. Cut like butter and smooth.
(03-19-2020, 08:27 AM)$awdust Wrote: I put my old tile saw blade in my skil saw.  Cut like butter and smooth.

I have a tile wet saw.  I didn't think it would work while dry.  And I didn't know that the tile saw blade would fit my circular saw.
(03-19-2020, 11:15 AM)Cooler Wrote: I have a tile wet saw.  I didn't think it would work while dry.  And I didn't know that the tile saw blade would fit my circular saw.
Maybe just a couple cuts will be ok, but I would only do this with an old or low cost circular saw.  Repeated use will eventually ruin it, because of the cement dust.
(03-20-2020, 09:43 AM)rschissler Wrote: Maybe just a couple cuts will be ok, but I would only do this with an old or low cost circular saw.  Repeated use will eventually ruin it, because of the cement dust.
Thanks for that information.  I would not want to ruin either of my circular saws (one plugs in, the other on battery).

It is only a few sheets, so I will use a scoring knife or a hacksaw for notches. (On the assumption that if it is bad for the circular saw, it will be bad for my angle grinder.)
(03-24-2020, 08:13 AM)Cooler Wrote: Thanks for that information.  I would not want to ruin either of my circular saws (one plugs in, the other on battery).

It is only a few sheets, so I will use a scoring knife or a hacksaw for notches. (On the assumption that if it is bad for the circular saw, it will be bad for my angle grinder.)
Yes.  That's why I use a $9.99 with coupon, Harbor Freight angle grinder.  Burned up one already, and second one on it's last legs. And why I wouldn't use my Makita circular saw.
(03-24-2020, 09:56 AM)rschissler Wrote: Yes.  That's why I use a $9.99 with coupon, Harbor Freight angle grinder.  Burned up one already, and second one on it's last legs. And why I wouldn't use my Makita circular saw.

I still have to work as we are a business that is classified as "essential business".  But other than that I am avoiding contact with the other world. 

I have food in the house for 2 - 3 weeks.  I go to the drive through at the bank.  I am finishing projects with the materials at hand as far as possible.  I have a bucket under a bad shutoff valve in the basement.  I will call a plumber in a few weeks, but for now it is the bucket.  I won't be going to Harbor Freight right now, so I will be making do with the tools I have on hand or can get delivered.

Interestingly in New York, liquor stores are also "essential businesses".  Who knew?