New Home Depot hours
(03-21-2020, 07:41 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:                 The better half got her schedule for next month and she has all south america trips on it. If they don't get cancelled and there are no restrictions I will make the trip with her. No reason not to.

Well, not so sure, as its who else is on the plane, and if you both get exposed your bride has nobody to care for her, or vice versa.  Worse yet, if you get exposed and are asymptomatic, you could infect others without knowing it.  We have to act cooperatively to control transmission of a disease, and what each of us choose to do affects our friends, family and neighbors. And despite what politicians might say, there is no quick fix, no magic bullet here, we are in this for the long term. After reading up on what the public health experts say, social isolation will last for 8 to 10 weeks, and even then we have to play it by ear and see what the infection rate is. So we improvise, adapt to the situation, for the common good, as none of us are immune.

It truly is like a war, and we all have to wrap our heads around this, I'm watching what is going on in Italy and seeing it replicate in NYC in real time day to day as the infection curve is becoming vertical. I have immediate family who are in the high risk categories, e.g., those with compromised immune systems, those with heart disease, with diabetes, all of which are firmly within the high mortality risk categories identified by the CDC if they become infected. So what I do, the choices I make, directly affects them, as well as others. So it goes with every one else. Slowly folks are starting to understand this, we are all in the same boat if this thing gets out of control. Science and numbers don't lie.

Better to not take even a small risk, this is no joke, as the choices you make affect everyone around you, and everyone around them.  I work with people in SA/LA regions, and they tell me there's no real comprehensive testing going on down there so they have no idea who is and who is not a carrier (not that the US is doing much better on testing.... hopefully we will improve).
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-20-2020, 06:24 PM)cams2705 Wrote: Although every retailer is stressing their commitment to cleanliness in regard to COVID-19, I think the change in hours is more due to profitability than sanitizing the store.

I agree.  I tried to go into Best Buy yesterday.  I was stopped, they're doing pickup for online orders only.  The excuse was "trying to reduce the spread of the virus".  My reply was that no, you're trying to save money from reduced foot traffic by not paying the hourly employees.

Apple's response (closing all Apple stores) is a joke.  They are simply moving the distribution channel to their customers like ATT and Sprint, etc.  They want to keep selling phones, they don't want the risk for doing so.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-24-2020, 08:10 AM)Cooler Wrote: Apple's response (closing all Apple stores) is a joke.  They are simply moving the distribution channel to their customers like ATT and Sprint, etc.  They want to keep selling phones, they don't want the risk for doing so.

Well, here in NJ (and NY) infections now double every two days.  People have to wrap their heads around the fact all of us are in the same boat, for if it can happen where I live (a rural part of NJ, yes, places like that exist in NJ), it certainly can happen anywhere else if we don't stop it here.  As far as I'm concerned, anything that stops or even limits person to person contact is a very responsible choice.  It is all about reducing contagion risk for both the employees and the public at large, and is no joke.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-24-2020, 08:10 AM)Cooler Wrote: Apple's response (closing all Apple stores) is a joke.  They are simply moving the distribution channel to their customers like ATT and Sprint, etc.  They want to keep selling phones, they don't want the risk for doing so.

It is a joke like their products... Sorry couldn't pass that one up.
(03-24-2020, 10:05 AM)Admiral Wrote: Well, here in NJ (and NY) infections now double every two days.  People have to wrap their heads around the fact all of us are in the same boat, for if it can happen where I live (a rural part of NJ, yes, places like that exist in NJ), it certainly can happen anywhere else if we don't stop it here.  As far as I'm concerned, anything that stops or even limits person to person contact is a very responsible choice.  It is all about reducing contagion risk for both the employees and the public at large, and is no joke.

But according to the WHO social distancing and isolation doesn't work to slow the spread and they also say masks are of no use on healthy people... The stuff coming out of the WHO is comical if you read what they say and not what the media says.
St. Louis area HD is only allowing 100 people in the store at one time.  I think this includes workers and customers.  The only entrance is at the customer service and only exit is at lumber.  Workers on radios relaying when someone exits so someone on the other side can enter.  But you still have dumb butt people who don't understand social distancing or who stand there in one section taking way too long to pick out their tube of caulk.  Know what you need, get it, and get out.
(03-24-2020, 12:05 PM)stilinsm Wrote: St. Louis area HD is only allowing 100 people in the store at one time.  I think this includes workers and customers.  The only entrance is at the customer service and only exit is at lumber.  Workers on radios relaying when someone exits so someone on the other side can enter.  But you still have dumb butt people who don't understand social distancing or who stand there in one section taking way too long to pick out their tube of caulk.  Know what you need, get it, and get out.

Depot here is similar but they only have the exit door open and one of the cashiers is counting people in and out. Much easier than having two doors open. 

Lowes is open for business as usual. They are not doing anything different. 

I will say that Shopping there is the best it has ever been. I can grab my stuff and get out the door in minutes now. Few people hanging around here. Everyone gets in grabs their stuff and goes. That also means theft is basically not happening as well. Picked up my order at Sams of a case of pretzels,buns and cafe hotdogs and grabbed charcoal at Lowes(depot is already sold out of their spring sale inventory charcoal). The lowes manager said their sales were up 15% over normal. Depot was similar. Lots of people are doing house repairs and maintenance since they are at home. 

Also they have some great sales online for tools right now as well. They were selling the De Fault 60v flex circ saw with a 6 amp battery for around $150. So almost a free tool with battery purchase.
I live in New York.  Our company is an essential business and we are open and working with full staffing.

We are in good company.  Liquor stores are also essential businesses and they are open and fully staffed too.  (Who knew that liquor stores were essential?)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-19-2020, 04:38 PM)Admiral Wrote: Gloves.  Harbor Freight as of last friday had beaucoup boxes of 5mil nitrile gloves available.  I picked up two.

I believe Harbor Freight has donated all their gloves to medical personnel who need it for protective equipment.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........