Hovarter Wagon Vise
Anyone have the Hovarter Wagon Vise (tail vise) installed on their bench? If so, how do you like it and comments please?

Hovarter Wagon Vise

Thanks,

Doug
(03-20-2020, 02:56 PM)Tapper Wrote: Anyone have the Hovarter Wagon Vise (tail vise) installed on their bench? If so, how do you like it and comments please?

Hovarter Wagon Vise

Thanks,

Doug

I would be interested in hearing the replies as well, but I suspect that you would get more replies in either Woodworking or in Hand Tools. I do not recall seeing many bench building threads in power tools.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I have one and I like it. It was easy to install, and it works as advertised. The only possible downside to all Hovarter vises is the short clamping "grip length" which is an inherent function of the design. It's not really a problem with the wagon vise, though. With the vise unlocked, the wagon moves easily in both directions; this is somewhat dependent upon installation and maintenance. You push the dog against the work and wind it up. There's close to 1/4" of grip length with plenty of holding power, and it's quick with only a bit over one full turn. Just like all vises, you can modulate the power by not turning the Tommy bar/wheel all the way around. The whole mechanism is smoother and lighter to operate than my old Record 52.5 quick release. I'd buy it again. I've got both size wheels available if you want one.
(03-20-2020, 04:49 PM)iclark Wrote: I would be interested in hearing the replies as well, but I suspect that you would get more replies in either Woodworking or in Hand Tools. I do not recall seeing many bench building threads in power tools.

Don't know why I posted here??? Maybe because the power tool section seems to always be the one I check first. Thanks for the reminder! I posted a link over in Woodworking and Hand Tools.

Doug
(03-20-2020, 06:31 PM)Maple Leaf Wrote: I have one and I like it. It was easy to install, and it works as advertised. The only possible downside to all Hovarter vises is the short clamping "grip length" which is an inherent function of the design. It's not really a problem with the wagon vise, though. With the vise unlocked, the wagon moves easily in both directions; this is somewhat dependent upon installation and maintenance. You push the dog against the work and wind it up. There's close to 1/4" of grip length with plenty of holding power, and it's quick with only a bit over one full turn. Just like all vises, you can modulate the power by not turning the Tommy bar/wheel all the way around. The whole mechanism is smoother and lighter to operate than my old Record 52.5 quick release. I'd buy it again. I've got both size wheels available if you want one.

Thanks for the review and comments. Good to hear you are pleased with the vise and would buy it again. I was thinking about the Benchcrafted tail vise but was still looking around for something else when Google took me to this web site. Looked at the video and liked it right away. Had a few questions so I called their listed phone # and left my name and number on voicemail. A few minutes later, Len Hovarter, the inventor and owner called me back. Had a very pleasant conversation with him and he patiently answered all my questions. "People buy from people they like" - never changes.

The reason I'm looking at this vise is that I'm going to repair and redo the top on my workbench. It was featured in Woodsmith #50.

[Image: 51OeAir1sLL._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]
I built this bench 15+ years ago and the top has a split in it (I'm certain it's my fault) which I need to fix. Also, this design has a full length tray on the backside that does nothing but collect "things" that get in the way. I plan to eliminate the tray and expand the width of the top. Also it called for a traditional tail vise with the wooden crank handle. When you crank it out it sticks out quite a bit; I find myself always bumping into the handle more than I prefer. This vise seems to be a nice retrofit as I can use the same dog holes and not have to rebuild that part of the bench.

Dropping you a PM on the wheel.

Thanks again,

Doug
It's a more affordable option to Benchcrafted's Tail Vise. The advantage of the Benchcrafted vise is the wheel has a handle for quicker operation. I have some reservations about the use of aluminum on the Howarter vise for the housing, simply because aluminum is not as strong as steel or cast iron. But I've no experience with the Howarter, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-21-2020, 08:58 AM)AHill Wrote: It's a more affordable option to Benchcrafted's Tail Vise.  The advantage of the Benchcrafted vise is the wheel has a handle for quicker operation.  I have some reservations about the use of aluminum on the Howarter vise for the housing, simply because aluminum is not as strong as steel or cast iron.  But I've no experience with the Howarter, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I realize the BC vise wheel has a knob on it for more convenient cranking over long distances. However, with the Hovarter the dog block can be moved quickly along its travel by just sliding it with your hand, as shown in the video - pretty easy and quick IMO. As for aluminum, it looks like the housing for the mechanism that slides along the steel shaft may be made of aluminum. The clutch is what actually brakes the action and grips the shaft. Don't know what material is used to actually grip the shaft.

I've sent an e-mail note to their web site to get some details. Maybe Maple Leaf could shed a little light on this?

Doug
Guys,

You're overthinking this. Len has this figured out. Yeah, the housing is machined aluminum, hard anodized. And it's only a housing; the internals are seriously engineered. Like everything in this world it will eventually wear out. But you'll be long in the grave, and so will whomever you've willed it to.

I have both Hovarter and Benchcrafted vises, and they're both superb. Of the two, the Hovarter vises are more elegantly engineered, but the function of both is superb. Don't let "perfect" blind you to to "great".

dp
(03-21-2020, 08:03 PM)Maple Leaf Wrote: Guys,

You're overthinking this. Len has this figured out. Yeah, the housing is machined aluminum, hard anodized. And it's only a housing; the internals are seriously engineered. Like everything in this world it will eventually wear out. But you'll be long in the grave, and so will whomever you've willed it to.

I have both Hovarter and Benchcrafted vises, and they're both superb. Of the two, the Hovarter vises are more elegantly engineered, but the function of both is superb. Don't let "perfect" blind you to to "great".

dp

dp,

Thanks for the clarification and comments. Did you receive my PM?

Doug

Edit: Made the connection - thanks dp!
(03-20-2020, 02:56 PM)Tapper Wrote: Anyone have the Hovarter Wagon Vise (tail vise) installed on their bench? If so, how do you like it and comments please?

Hovarter Wagon Vise

Thanks,

Doug

Update:

I ordered the Wagon Vise from Len Hovarter yesterday. In addition to a phone conversation I exchanged a couple of e-mail notes with him about it. I found him very pleasant and extremely generous with his time and quite forthcoming with answers to my questions. With his permission, here's what he had to say about the construction and operation of the vise:

"The shaft is made of steel and is case hardened to prevent wear. The clutch which grips the shaft is made from mild steel. There is also a cam, which actuates the clutch to grip the shaft. It is also made of steel. There is an access hole in the housing to allow grease to be applied to the cam/clutch mechanism. The housing parts (non wear parts) are made from aluminum and anodized for a protective finish. The bearings are made from Delrin, which is a tough plastic commonly used for bearings in industry. Years ago I hired my young son to continuously actuate the vise for what I estimated to be about 10 years of average use. When I took it apart I could not measure appreciable wear."

Thanks,

Len Hovarter
Lenco Tools LLC 

Will update this thread when I get it installed, which may be a while as I have some repair and modification to do to the bench top. 

Doug