Shop Apron
I have been an apron user for a number of years. Mostly a cheap Husky apron my father gave me in the early 2000s. I like aprons because without them, I spend cumulative hours of non-productive shop time trying to remember where I put my pencil, tape measure, etc... Anyways, the number of things I kept in my apron have grown over the years, and the apron itself was not very comfortable even when only marginally loaded. In particular, it would make my neck hurt a lot after a long day in the shop. It was also getting somewhat ratty, and things tended to either slip out of the pockets or stab me in the kidneys every time I bent down. I wanted something nicer and more comfortable, and I was willing to spend money for it.
[Image: oldapron01.JPG]
[Image: oldapron02.JPG]

In late July of last year, I couldn't find anything pre-made that was exactly what I wanted, so I forked over a good-sized chunk of cash to Dragonfly Leather to have something made for me. I was a little sketchy on having a video interview to take measures of myself and my tools, but my wife was game to assist me, and the process was quick and fairly painless. Michelle asked some good questions about tool layout and use, and had several excellent suggestions. Her number-one concern was with weight; I believe to date I carried the most tools on an apron of anyone she had encountered. Fortunately I am 6' tall and well into middle age, so there was plenty of real-estate for it on the apron body itself.

I got the apron a few weeks later, in the last few days of summer. Everything fit where it should. The X-harness strap configuration was very comfortable. Nothing stabbed me in the gut when I bent over. After a few days of using it, my hands just went to where things were without having to put too much conscious thought into it. Even in the heat, it was comfortable for me to wear for extended hours.
[Image: apron01.JPG]
[Image: apron03.JPG]

I got to thinking I should post about it yesterday, when I had to take everything out so I could get a screw that fell to the bottom of the marking gauge pocket, and shake the dust out. I need clean and oil it at some point in the near future. Otherwise, no issues six months in. I had thought if the weight were too much, I just wouldn't load it up, but that hasn't been an issue at all. In fact, I just keep it fully loaded all the time, and can wear it all day without any additional fatigue. It is unbelievably comfortable. I sometimes refer to it as a more masculine weighted blanket.
[Image: apron04.JPG]
[Image: apron05.JPG]

This thing was a chunk of cash, and may not be right for a lot of folks who have different tastes or priorities. But for those who are contemplating it, I can't say how happy I am that I went for a custom apron. Should have done it years ago. Now that I am well outside the fluffy pink cloud of new ownership, figured it would be a good time to share.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
Very nice and well suited to your needs. Every now and then we will spend more than others might think is warranted for a more elegant, easier or just plain old "the way I want it" thing and I think that's great.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(03-25-2020, 12:57 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: Fortunately I am 6' tall and well into middle age, so there was plenty of real-estate for it on the apron body itself.  

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 
Laugh 
Laugh 
Laugh 
Laugh 
Laugh
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Nice.  Always good when you get something thats just right.

Luckily I have Miss T, who has her sewing room, and skillz.  I had a Glock Armorer's apron I won at a recert class for something or other, and since I never wore it at that workbench, I had Miss T make a chest pocket for it, and I'm golden.  I had ordered on on line, and still have it somewhere, but IT was too heavy and stiff to be comfortable.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I bought one of these, very satisfied. Cross back, and no plastic clips on the drawstrings, they always broke on me. Very sturdy and well made.

https://hudsondurablegoods.com/products/...gKlD_D_BwE
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Very cool.

I like long aprons. Ive used the duluth trading apron for years (I bet I got 6-7 years on the current one) and its got a number of holes now, not cause its cheap, but I work it hard.

Ive been looking at leather ones, and I have my eyes on texas heritage but I really like how dragonfly will completely customize, easily. Guess I need to give it some more thought.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Would you be willing to share the ballpark price for that apron so we know what to expect if we want to buy one? That thing looks very well made and I'm sure it's worth every penny
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(04-21-2020, 05:00 PM)alanealane Wrote: Would you be willing to share the ballpark price for that apron so we know what to expect if we want to buy one? That thing looks very well made and I'm sure it's worth every penny

I was going to ask the same thing. Any chance we can see it with you having it on? It would make it better to see how it lays out on your body. It looks like the main pockets are more to your right and left compared to center like most aprons. The apron I have also stabs me in the kidney when I save my 6" square in it.

Don't be camera shy. 
Laugh

Thanks

Mike
(04-21-2020, 05:00 PM)alanealane Wrote: Would you be willing to share the ballpark price for that apron so we know what to expect if we want to buy one? That thing looks very well made and I'm sure it's worth every penny

I decided on pulling the trigger on one like him from dragonfly.....except I didnt go the custom route like him, I bought the apprentice one, and asked to add a few things and they did with no problem. 

I paid like $300

Super happy with the process and quality of the final product. 
Yes

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Nothing like getting what you want and being happy with it - congrats guys!
Smile

Doug