woodworking ideas for a grandpa to do with a 8 year old grandson
(03-26-2020, 10:57 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I built the standard go-to projects like tool boxes, bird houses and bird feeders with my 2 grandsons.  I loaded the tool boxes with old tools I found at the flea market.

^^^^^  What Bill said.  Plus maybe something he could use for school or making mom or dad or sister something what they could use.  But Bill has all the basic things that are done with kids all the time starting out.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Toys.

When my kids were little, 30-40 years ago,  I built a bunch of simple wooden toys with them.  As they aged all their little kid toys were put away in storage in the attic.  They grew up and moved away.  When my wife and I relocated a few years ago  and were packing up I noticed a bunch missing.  Our kids had gone into the attic and gotten them for their kids.
When visiting for Christmas 2016 my son took his son out to my workshop and they built a replica of the aircraft carrier we had built when he was little, only bigger.

All extremely simple.  They weren’t detailed, they were just enough to identify the object so their imaginations could do the rest.

This is similar to the carrier my son and grandson made 2x4 for the hull, can’t remember... maybe 3/8” ply for the flight deck, and a couple of blocks for the towers, about 4 feet long to accommodate my grandson’s toy planes.  The one we made 35 years ago was about 2 feet long for smaller planes... like those little green army men size toys.

This is similar to the bulldozer.  Clamped the belt sander on the bench and he rounded the edges of the 4x4 engine; although, a small plane would be good if you wanted him to gain experience with hand tools. The arms for the blade were 1x material, not 2x. 2x probably better, I remember one arm splitting and I had to glue it back... maybe should have used a straighter grained hardwood for that part.
 No small dowels for exhaust pipe or controls, too easy to break.  
No treads glued to the tracks, but a nice touch. I had drilled a couple of holes with a Forstner  bit on each track to inset some wheels that extended about 1/2” below the tracks.  I drilled a hole in the seat for a playschool person.

We didn’t make these but it looks simple. I would make the smokestack out of a thicker dowel to take abuse.  I would maybe make the tops removable and drill out the engine compartment so he could put a little people in there.
 Make the engine this time, add a car each time he comes.
thanx to all

roger901
Might as well just go straight to decorative Greene and Greene boxes with gold flake inlay, stained-glass Art Nouveau windows, and hand-cut joinery.
(03-26-2020, 09:12 AM)roger901 Wrote: Suggestions appreciated.

roger901

Another direction, depending on the kids and their ages;  My youngest GS, age 6, just enjoys using his imagination.  He'll take various bits of scrap wood out of the scrap bin and cobble them together.  In his mind, he's created something and enjoyed doing it.  I guess my point is that sometimes they don't want or need a structured project.  All they want to do is drill holes, drive nails, cut wood and they don't always end up with a finished project, but they had fun and maybe learned a little bit along the way.

All kids are different.  They learn in different ways and and are stimulated by different things.  The biggest lesson I've learned is to be patient and let them sort of take the lead.  The first couple times we worked together, I tried to keep them on task and focused. My success was sometimes limited.  Their attention wanders.  They see a different tool, that we aren't using and ask what it is for.  They get bored with sanding (don't we all) and want to do something more stimulating.  I'm kind of a task oriented guy.  I want to stay on point and complete the project in an orderly fashion.  That isn't always their goal.  Be flexible.  Afterall it's supposed to be fun for all of us and if they learn something or complete a project, that's icing on the cake.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(03-28-2020, 11:52 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Another direction, depending on the kids and their ages;  My youngest GS, age 6, just enjoys using his imagination.  He'll take various bits of scrap wood out of the scrap bin and cobble them together.  In his mind, he's created something and enjoyed doing it.  I guess my point is that sometimes they don't want or need a structured project.  All they want to do is drill holes, drive nails, cut wood and they don't always end up with a finished project, but they had fun and maybe learned a little bit along the way.

All kids are different.  They learn in different ways and and are stimulated by different things.  The biggest lesson I've learned is to be patient and let them sort of take the lead.  The first couple times we worked together, I tried to keep them on task and focused. My success was sometimes limited.  Their attention wanders.  They see a different tool, that we aren't using and ask what it is for.  They get bored with sanding (don't we all) and want to do something more stimulating.  I'm kind of a task oriented guy.  I want to stay on point and complete the project in an orderly fashion.  That isn't always their goal.  Be flexible.  Afterall it's supposed to be fun for all of us and if they learn something or complete a project, that's icing on the cake.

I had my kids draw out race cars they would color and enjoy that part of the process, then glue to whatever height 2x cut out on the bandsaw  They pulled off the paper and painted the cars when dry I attached wheels
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(03-28-2020, 07:39 AM)Robin Dobbie Wrote: Might as well just go straight to decorative Greene and Greene boxes with gold flake inlay, stained-glass Art Nouveau windows, and hand-cut joinery.

On this side of suggestions, I'd add...How to (really over complicate things and) sharpen your tools (including a three hour lecture on metal science, grain structure, etc.......and a small multiple choice test at the end).
Tongue

Simon
Not projects, but two valuable habits I learned early on: cleaning up at the end of the day and putting tools/things back where they belong.
A scroll saw and stack of 1/4" plywood for starters. Give him basic shapes at first and then he'll start making up his own. Best part (as I explained to my daughter): He can cut his finger but he can't cut it off.

Papa Jim[
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Bat house!

Can be made from 1 x 6 x 6 foot cedar which is cheap.

All cuts are square and can be made with a hand saw. 

I have plans from TigerStop I can share if wanted. TigerStop was making them at IWF many years back.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.