Buyers please read this first OK
I do not know about you, but I am worried about the sellers having to go out and mail you what you just bought.

Since we have a big Covid-19 problem just let them mail the package to you when this scare is over.  No one wants to get this and me personally I do not want anyone to get it just to send a package to me.

That is all I have to say.

Thanks
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
There are other options when shipping. I’m out in the country a bit, so I don’t care for making special trips to the post office in normal times. I purchase postage online and schedule the pickup, and the carrier will pick up the package(s) from my porch the next day. I would have to be pretty trusting of someone to buy something and wait until who knows when for it to ship because of the virus crisis.
(03-26-2020, 10:48 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I do not know about you, but I am worried about the sellers having to go out and mail you what you just bought.

Since we have a big Covid-19 problem just let them mail the package to you when this scare is over.  No one wants to get this and me personally I do not want anyone to get it just to send a package to me.

That is all I have to say.

Thanks

Hi Arlin:

I don't want to downplay the severity of the current situation, but as long as you and I (and frankly everyone) use some common sense and extra pre-caution, then mailing a package shouldn't be an issue.  

That means the seller should wash their hands before handling the packaging materials, pack normally and security, print labels at home if possible to reduce time in line at the post office, take the package to post office during off-peak hours and use hand sanitizer before and after touching doors and other public surfaces (or better yet leave the package in the mailbox for the mail-man if it's small enough), don't touch your face without using hand sanitizer first, keep your distance from others when you can, use hand sanitizer before you get into your car and again before going into your house, wash your hands immediately after getting home, change your clothes if you feel the need to be extra careful, etc.

For buyers, once the package arrive then "quarantine" it in your garage for two to however many days you believe is needed.  Covid-19 is still a virus, and each virus is different but at the end of the day they cannot survive outside a host forever.  So use that knowledge to keep yourself from being infected.  Put the package somewhere else, wash your hands after the initial handling of the package, don't touch your face until you've sanitized yourself.  

One thing I will emphasize is that the current quarantine is not meant to eradicate Covid-19, unfortunately it's going to stick around.  I'm saying this because everyone needs to be extra vigilant after things are "back" in order.  We'll have more people out in the streets, we'll have more sellers and buyers, and we need to resume our lives without fear, but rather be smarter.  The days of "Oh, it's just a cold/flu/cough/whatever" is over, but it doesn't mean that we need to be in our protective bubbles either.

Find that balance and be safe
Smile
Arlin:  Well, I'm in NJ, and its getting pretty sporty around here lately, we've had a dozen deaths in bordering counties.  I've left my house three times in the last three and one-half weeks for food shopping combined with a trip to the PO and a stop to get a case of beer.  I was masked and gloved each time, and anything brought into the house, including the daily newspaper delivery and each piece of mail, is wiped down with a Chlorox wipe.  Not a lot of people out and about, so here if you've not gotten it by now, and you are careful and follow the sanitary protocol, chances are good, at least in the semi-rural area I live in, to avoid infection.  But this will go on at some level for many, many months, until there is a vaccine developed and made available so we can build herd immunity.  We are not at all close to a peak and it looks like at least in NJ and NY the worst is yet to come, so I'm settled into a sanitized routine.  Those who foolishly say restrictions can be lifted by Easter, I am comforted to say, cannot dictate what State governors can do to protect their citizens, so I expect that shelter in place restrictions will go on in NJ for at least another 30-60 days until the curve has been flattened.  I've been through worse, its just a new normal.  Looks like Iowa has got 145 confirmed cases with one death.  By the end of the day when they update the counts, NJ will have over 5,000, and likely over 70 deaths, as these numbers are increasing exponentially.  [Edit:  Update today for NJ is 6876 (up +2,400 from yesterday) with 81 deaths (up 19).] So be safe, wash, sanitize and learn from what's going on here on the east coast and things will be ok for you.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
You also don’t have to go to the PO. Using USPS at home you can pay and print labels and the postman will pickup at your door.
I live out in the country on a large acreage and I also never known about shipping from home.

Being who I am and thinking of a lot of friends here.  That is all.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I received a postal package today. Retrieved it from the road side mailbox, carried it into the shop and grabbed my Clorox wipes. Wiped it down, wiped my hands, grabbed the U knife and ripped it open.
Wiped the knife off and my hands again and grabbed the cord that was in a vac sealed bag using the wipe.
Cut that open without touching the bag. Pulled the cord free and took the same wipe and grabbed the packages and trash canned em.

So how'd I do????
Smile
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Every body talks about using wipes , but I would be willing to guess they are nowhere to be found. That along with hand sanitizer were never really used in our house. More of a soap and water kind of place.
Its a wise and kind though Arlin. If someone wants the saw I am selling for example they will have a choice of shipped now, or if they dont feel safe, later. I think the big thing is everyone communicating without fear of judgment.

At least up here; you go in the basement your on your own.
Hi all,

I'm not a doctor nor did I play one on TV. With that being said I too take this current virus serious. I take all the precautions already mentioned. As a matter of fact I do this all the time. Wipe down the cart at the grocer etc. With all that I'm good for one cold a year. 

This virus is way from over but so far it will need to get much worse (I hope it does not) before getting close to the number of people who get and die from the yearly flu. CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza. In the 2017 – 2018 flu season 61,000 people died with 45 million people getting the flu. 

My point is the flu comes every year and we don’t panic, buy toilet paper as if it was never going to be produced again and stay in place. Maybe, just maybe the one thing that can come from this is we all start practicing better hygiene by washing our hand more, social distance a little, stop shaking hands and use Purell more. Maybe the next flu season less people will die too.

Were I live our entire community is closed. No woodshop, no outdoor activities, beaches closed etc.

I for one can’t wait for this to pass. I have a lot of woodworking to do.