Think my ROS is dieing
I have a 5" Rigid ROS model R2600. A few month ago I finally replaced the brake disc and the hook and loop pad. The first thing I noticed is the sander now has a slight wobble when running. I have checked to make sure everything is installed correctly and flat and it looks fine except for the wobble. It is also having troubles coming up to speed. It has no problems with it just in the air. When I have it in contact with the wood it turns slowly jumps around a little and used to finally come up to speed. I just went down to try to get this sanding finished and I can't get it to run at speed when sanding. It also seems to be spraying dust everywhere even when I have a vacuum connected. Of course I never registered it so the lifetime warrantee is no good. Any suggestions of what might be wrong sand if I could fix it? I have been doing several hours long sanding episodes and I thing it is just not liking that.

If I need to replace any suggestions on reasonably priced sanders? No Festool! I have liked the Rigid. Are the newer ones still OK?
I upgraded to the Bosch ROS65VC-6, their higher end sander. I caught the 5" version on a great sale and replaced the pad with the 6" pad. I've only put a few hours into it so far, but really like it. The vibration dampening does really help a lot.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I'd start by putting the old parts back in and see if it still does what you describe.  Could be that the new parts are defective.  Also could be too much torque on a part that needs to be free moving.  

I'm not familiar with that sander so just grasping at options here.

Good luck
(03-29-2020, 04:34 PM)stav Wrote: I'd start by putting the old parts back in and see if it still does what you describe.  Could be that the new parts are defective.  Also could be too much torque on a part that needs to be free moving.  

I'm not familiar with that sander so just grasping at options here.

Good luck

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Problem is I changed the parts a couple months ago and they are now gone. I was doing OK soon after changing the parts. I think some of then long sanding sessions have taken a top on it. One thing that I did notice when I was changing parts is there looks to be something like a bearing on the end of the off set drive shaft that I wonder if it is supposed to spin freely, it doesn't. Problem is I on't have any way of knowing if that is correct or not.
Looking at ereplacementparts.com it looks like this is supposed to be free moving bearing. I guess I will try taking it apart again to see if I can get to the bearing. If I can pull it I will get a new one and replace it. It I break it I guess I am not out much at this point.
(03-29-2020, 05:56 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: Looking at ereplacementparts.com it looks like this is supposed to be  free moving bearing. I guess I will try taking it apart again to see if I can get to the bearing. If I can pull it I will get a new one and replace it. It I break it I guess I am not out much at this point.

I would clean it all out really well.  Over time dust can clog things up internally and make it hard for the parts to spin freely. If it isn't collecting dust like it used to the internal channels are clogged, the fan is coated with crud, or the dust bag/canister is clogged.  I also have the Bosch ROS65VC and can attest that it's a great sander and a really good value compared to Festool.  It was amazingly smooth for several years but then I noticed more vibration when using it, maybe even a wobble.  I eventually decided to replace the pad - no more vibration, as good as new again.  I don't know whether the old pad had really changed in some way or there was some other issue, but after I installed a new one it ran perfectly again.  And still does.  But give yours a good going over and change suspect parts before replacing it.

John
You could look at the parts list for the current model R2611 ROS to see if many of the part numbers are the same as your R2600. If most of the parts are the same, especiually the pad, buy a new one and save the old one for parts.

If the old one starts working better, you can set up each one with different grit papers.
My .02
Karl

See if you can get some penetrating oil down in that seized bearing before taking it off.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I tried cleaning the bearing but it was toast. I put a new one on and it seems much better. Will see how this holds up to another sanding session.