Gutters? Fixing Water Drainage
This is where my garage roof meets my main roof.   The main roof is on the right.  The problem is rain water spills off that area and onto a flower bed. It washes away the mulch and drowns whatever I try to plant there.   I am thinking about some kind of gutter along the short section in the middle and then up the eave on the right a bit.  Do I need a downspout into the existing gutter or can I just let it spill into that gutter? 

(03-30-2020, 09:55 AM)crokett™ Wrote: This is where my garage roof meets my main roof.   The main roof is on the right.  The problem is rain water spills off that area and onto a flower bed. It washes away the mulch and drowns whatever I try to plant there.   I am thinking about some kind of gutter along the short section in the middle and then up the eave on the right a bit.  Do I need a downspout into the existing gutter or can I just let it spill into that gutter? 
I think you need to add a gutter to the garage and have it feed into the house gutter.  And another gutter for the short run V run and have it drain into both gutters. 

Even if you add a downspout it will not remedy the situation.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
There is a gutter on the garage. In the picture, the house is on the right. the garage is on the left. The gutter in the picture is for the garage. The peak of the garage comes into the house perpendicular. I think what is happening is water is coming down that resulting V and straight off the roof, Im thinking about adding a section of gutter with a downspout into the gutter that is in the picture.

Could it be something as simple as adding a sheetmetal diverter on the roof to re-direct the water?
(03-30-2020, 11:29 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Could it be something as simple as adding a sheetmetal diverter on the roof to re-direct the water?

Maybe.  I hadn't thought of that, and it's a lot simpler than a gutter.

(03-30-2020, 11:29 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Could it be something as simple as adding a sheetmetal diverter on the roof to re-direct the water?
I had to do that.  I used a length of drip edge as I only had to divert a couple of feet of roof.  I tucked it under a shingle with a couple of nails.  It worked fine.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.