Custom Mobile Base for PM 3620b
Out of all my tools in my shop, my lathe gets the least amount of use so having this monster on wheels is essential so I can bring it out when I need it.  I looked online at commercially available mobile bases and not much out there and what there is, they are expensive.  I wanted something very minimal and clean looking.  

So here is what I've come up with.....

My fab shop at work had some drops of 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 5/16" tube steel that they gave me.  These tubes fit perfectly on the inside of the legs and I used the threaded portion of the levelers to attach the tubes to.  The levelers are 3/8-16 threads.

Here are the casters I used.  They are off of older Delta mobile bases.  I used to have these attached to a mobile work bench that I had, but I've since retired that bench and these casters were not being used anymore so this a perfect use for them.

Casters mounted on the tube steel.  I drilled a 13/32" hole on the bottom of the tube to accept the 3/8" leveler and then a 7/8" hole of top of the tube so I could get my 9/16" socket down inside to attach the nuts to hold the tube to the leg assembly

I wanted a washer between the tube and the nut and with only a 7/8" hole on top I had to slip in a washer from each end before I installed the tubes.  A rare earth magnet held the washers in place while I installed the tubes

Once the tubes were in place, I put a wood dowel through the washer, right on top of the stud, removed the magnet and the washer slipped down on to the stud

Used a magnetic tool to hold the nut while I lowered down on to the stud and got it threaded on

Here's the completed installation

This turned out great and very simple to move this beast of a machine around the shop easily.  I may add a piece of steel across the kick downs to connect them together so I only have to push down one time to engage two casters at once, but for now, it works like a charm!

Thanks for looking!
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
It looks great. Nice and professional.   

I have casters like that on my work bench made of laminated 2x6.  They carry the load w no problem.
Very nice and clean installation. Used your noggin on that one - I like that you re-purposed those casters!

Doug
Very nice. I bet you can sell those.
[Image: giphy.gif]
great thinking!!!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Nice job. That should work well.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks guys!  It's nice to have the yellow beast mobile.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Are you sure it is a 3620b or the 3520b which I have and looks like you have?

I wanted to put wheels on mine to move it once in a while but just jack it up with a floor jack and done.
You did a nice job on it.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-02-2020, 07:08 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Are you sure it is a 3620b or the 3520b which I have and looks like you have?

I wanted to put wheels on mine to move it once in a while but just jack it up with a floor jack and done.
You did a nice job on it.
Yes

Didn't realize I put a 6 instead of a 5 
Big Grin