Contemplating different bench tops...
(03-31-2020, 11:44 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Almost 15 years ago I built a "temporary" bench with the top being built from salvaged 1.5" thick oak trailer bed decking wrapped with a 3" apron. Over the past 15 years it has been pretty beat up and it has sagged a little on the edges. I still beat on it and use the attached vises etc. but I've gotten to the point that I don't trust it to build on because it isn't flat enough. BTW the top sits on a cabinet carcass that has shelving etc for storage that will continue to support whatever top I go with.

I've been looking at various options to replace my current top:
  1. I've considered just yanking the top and re-flattening it through the planer but IIRC it had some metal in it so, I think that is out. In addition, the oak top proved to be not the best option because of the open grain.
  2. I've considered just ordering a new hard maple top for a couple hundred bucks. The top I am considering is 1.75" thick which should work fine for me.
  3. I have enough 8/4 hard maple in the shop to make a maple top in the the dimensions I need with about a 2.5" thickness. I'm not sure the maple costs and the extra work involved in making one is really worth it over just ordering a solid maple top.
  4. I also, have TONS of 8/4 walnut but I fear that it might be too porus and soft for a long term solution.
  5. I am strongly considering some type of top like a DIY Festool MFT with an aluminum extrusion frame to provide t-track functionality on the frame edges and a sacrificial MDF surface. I do have some 80/20 hanging around the shop from CNC builds but would need to order a couple longer pieces to complete the framework.
I should add that my current top has two traditional woodworking vises that I use a ton and so, whatever I decide on, it would need to include a way of mounting them. Obviously, mounting them on a traditional top is pretty easy but on a MFT style bench it might present more of a challenge. 

I also, have aluminum t-track embedded into my current top which has been useful at times but also becomes a trap for stuff that needs to be cleaned out. In addition, I have 2 rows of bench dog holes and enough accessories that use them that I would want them on whatever top I go with.

Lastly, I'll just say that I use hand tools occasionally but my shop is based on WW machinery. Therefore a bench in my shop is used mainly as an assembly table. 

Interested to hear what others think about an MFT set-up vs. just a solid bench top. 
Confused
Confused
Confused

A year ago I bought a mft/3 top from ebay seller agimpressions.  Free customization and freight.  I was at first skeptical, but it came out perfect.
I have no interest in his business.
(04-01-2020, 10:30 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Thanks for the responses... the posts have given me some direction. I'm going to go with a DIY MFT style benchtop with a hardwood framework to set on the existing cabinet. Again, I appreciate the input.

This might be helpful. Rob Cosman uses these benches for his students and it can be built in a weekend. Since you already have the vises, you should be good to go.

https://robcosman.com/blogs/robs-blog/ma...df-plywood
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(04-04-2020, 08:00 AM)jppierson Wrote: This might be helpful.  Rob Cosman uses these benches for his students and it can be built in a weekend.  Since you already have the vises, you should be good to go.

https://robcosman.com/blogs/robs-blog/ma...df-plywood

Looks like an excellent low-cost bench - thanks for the link! Rob did a great job in explaining its features and construction IMO.

Doug

Well, I procrastinated getting a new top built 
Crazy  ... in the meantime, a used German made Ulmia Carvers Bench showed up on CL so, I went and got it. Not really what I had planned but I think it will work out fine in the long run. I'll get a cabinet/shelves installed on the stretchers for storage but otherwise it appears to be well built. I believe this is one of their older style bench made in Germany before they were bought out but I'm not sure. It's over 6' long, 36" tall and 24" wide with 2 rows of dog holes and he had 5 of the original square dogs for it as well. The guy I purchased it from left the Woodcraft price sticker on it that listed it at almost $1600. I'm sure he didn't pay that for it but it gives a high water mark for retail price from probably 20 years ago. In any case, he was asking $400 and I didn't see any reason to dicker with him so, I gave him $400 for it. I think that represents a pretty decent deal but am open to other folks thoughts.

I guess that I'll be in S&S listing my old bench vises, hold-downs, and bench dogs in the near future.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(05-11-2020, 12:54 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: In any case, he was asking $400 and I didn't see any reason to dicker with him so, I gave him $400 for it. I think that represents a pretty decent deal but am open to other folks thoughts.

Very, very fair price, actually, its worth more in my neck of the woods.  Good for you.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-01-2020, 10:16 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Thanks. The imperial holes and hole spacing is what I have been looking at as well. Your measurements are exactly what I was considering 3/4" holes obviously and with 4" spacing. I have a CNC so, the cutting/drilling the holes won't be as cumbersome for me to complete. I'm pretty sure at this point that I am going to go with the MFT style benchtop like you. I just think it would be nice to have a sacrificial top that can be easily replaced. I'm now considering a whether I should make a solid maple framework as opposed to aluminum extrusion frame. Also MDF is cheap so, I might consider 2 layers of 3/4" MDF as a surface. BTW the dimension of my top will be around 24"x60" so, it's not super big. Decisions, decisions...

Interestingly I have an old Workmate (occasionally still useful) and the holes are not 3/4" and none of the accessories for that bench work in a 3/4" hole.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(05-11-2020, 12:54 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: . in the meantime, a used German made Ulmia Carvers Bench showed up on CL so, I went and got it. Not really what I had planned but I think it will work out fine in the long run. I'll get a cabinet/shelves installed on the stretchers for storage but otherwise it appears to be well built....

I guess that I'll be in S&S listing my old bench vises, hold-downs, and bench dogs in the near future.

Seems like a good deal.

The end vise is interesting.
I'd be tempted to add some round holes for holdfasts or other fixtures.  (give some time with the new fixtures to see how you like them)

You can see Chris Schwarz's thoughts on his vintage Ulmia:  https://blog.lostartpress.com/2020/04/13...-workbench
His looks to be a different model (tail vise, tool tray, width), but seems to work pretty well for him.

Matt
Yeah, the end vise is different than most of the images of older Ulmia benches I've found online. In any case, it works really smooth. Like you stated I have considered adding a couple round holes ... we will see. I'm also, considering adding a Record 52 Quick Release undermount vise that I have lying around. Currently, I have had to shuffle tools in my shop to accommodate the longer length of the bench vs. the one it is replacing. When I get things situated, I should have time to really settle in and see if I want to do some modifications. The only thing for sure is that I know that I'll be adding storage underneath across the stretchers.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP