Corona "Exile" Challenge
Passing this along in case anyone finds it useful.

Our local woodturning club cannot meet in person. So, someone came up with the idea of doing a "Corona 'Exile' Challenge."

Quote:Since we are being asked to keep a social distance from others and we need to stay at home. For some of us, this means more time in the shop. In a recent e-mail, <member> joked that maybe the next club meeting show and tell should be "What I made during the Corona Exile". The more I thought about it, the more it seems like a great idea. So here are the categories.

#1 Something I haven't tried yet. Maybe a natural edge bowl or goblet, a segmented bowl or piece, a Celtic cross or something I've seen on YouTube.
#2 A new tool. Something I've been thinking about making or have just been putting it off for the right time to complete.
#3 An accessory item. A jig or fixture that will help with my turning projects.

Each category will have 3 winners.
  1st. place: $25.00 gift card to Woodcraft
  2nd. place: $15.00 gift card to Woodcraft
  3rd. place 10 Club raffle tickets

This will give you 4 weeks to complete your project.

Keep turning, be creative and be safe.

We meet at the local Woodcraft. Hence, the prizes offered.

Members have been sending the corresponding secretary pictures and he has been passing them along to the club members.

At the rate things are going, the next in-person meeting will not have enough time for a demonstrator by the time that the Show-n-Tell is done.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Although I have been stuck at home, I'm still working 50 hour weeks to make sure our POTUS has his new plane on time. The extra time I've had from saving 10 hours per week commuting has gone to the dog; walking her an extra 6 hours a week.

However, I have been able to get to the shop and recently completed my version of the wedgie sled and am now working on a new large segmented turning ~15 x 15 for the ashes on my daughter's FIL. I wish I hadn't been so lazy and made the sled long ago. It's so much easier than using a miter saw.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I've also been spending some time in the shop lately also.  Finally got around to make a steady rest for larger diameter turnings.  I have a PSI steady rest but it only works decent for longer spindles, maybe 3"-4" diameter.  This one is more for larger diameter turnings like bowls or vases and should handle something like around 10" diameter turnings.  Good to have some quality wood time.