Freezer unheated garage
(04-06-2020, 02:09 PM)Cooler Wrote: I have a whole house attic fan that vents into the garage.  I have an open window, a gables vent and a screen door for the heat to escape from (as well as soffit vents).  I don't think the garage ever gets above the ambient temperature unless I shut the fan and run the A.C.

I was really more worried about the cold.  It often gets to the single digits in the winter and occasionally below zero.

When it's below 0 it won't really run much since freezers are usually set to 0 ish.
Now I have to see if I can find one.

Thanks for the replies.

Stay healthy and sane,

Cooler
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I'd sell (or give) you one of mine, but DW would kill me.  We have a giant fridge/freezer in the basement, a counter-depth fridge/freezer in the kitchen, a smaller deep freezer, and a tall 'dorm' type fridge with separate freezer (two doors) in the garage.  

All of them are plugged in and running, where a few months ago, the giant fridge in the basement that used to be in the kitchen (pre-remodel) was off, and so was the small dorm fridge in the garage.

It's only money.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.  
Rolleyes

Oh, and the small one in the garage works just fine year-round.  Just have to keep stuff away from the sides, as that's where the heat is rejected - through the skin.  Same with our medium deep freezer in the basement, though that sits in a low-60's ambient year-round.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
My parents had a refrigerator that they moved from their Bronx apartment to our new home in 1956. 

When they did a remodel they moved the refrigerator to the basement.

When my mom sold the house in 2001 it was still working and keeping food cold in the basement.  After 50 years it was still working fine (though the door latch spring was not very strong and you had to really slam the door too get it to latch). 

When they say, "They don't build them like the used to" it's true.

My newish clothes washer (GE) failed after 6 years.  I called the repairman and he told me it would be too expensive to fix.  I complained that it was almost new.  he looked it up and he said it was 6 years old and the average life expectancy for a clothes washer was 6 to 7 years. 

They don't build them like they used to.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-07-2020, 08:35 AM)Cooler Wrote: My parents had a refrigerator that they moved from their Bronx apartment to our new home in 1956. 

When they did a remodel they moved the refrigerator to the basement.

When my mom sold the house in 2001 it was still working and keeping food cold in the basement.  After 50 years it was still working fine (though the door latch spring was not very strong and you had to really slam the door too get it to latch). 

When they say, "They don't build them like the used to" it's true.

My newish clothes washer (GE) failed after 6 years.  I called the repairman and he told me it would be too expensive to fix.  I complained that it was almost new.  he looked it up and he said it was 6 years old and the average life expectancy for a clothes washer was 6 to 7 years. 

We had a Sears Coldspot fridge when I was growing up, with the big loop door handle.  The kind that kids could lock themselves into, which spawned the 'remove the door or cut a hole in it' laws about unused fridges and freezers.  That sucker ran for decades, even with the nine of us opening and closing it constantly.  Ah, the joys of filling ice trays and cracking the cubes out with the little lever.  Looked like this:

Same with washers and dryers.  My dad had replaced the motor on the washer once or twice, replaced belts in the dryer (had a 2-stage belt reduction system instead of around the drum belt), and so on, for many decades.  Repair guy told us that if it were him, when our newish front loader lets go, just buy a cheap top loader for 1/5th the price, as they're all disposable now.  The motherboard for our pricey front loader was no longer available after about 4 years, though I was able to get a part on the board to make it run again for now.  
Upset
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(04-07-2020, 07:31 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I'd sell (or give) you one of mine, but DW would kill me.  We have a giant fridge/freezer in the basement, a counter-depth fridge/freezer in the kitchen, a smaller deep freezer, and a tall 'dorm' type fridge with separate freezer (two doors) in the garage.  

Four..........so is there anything in them?? 800#'s of meat?
Winkgrin
Winkgrin 

(04-07-2020, 08:35 AM)Cooler Wrote: My parents had a refrigerator that they moved from their Bronx apartment to our new home in 1956. 

Our current upright is 36 years old and is full of meat.
It is in my shop. No direct a/c, though I keep it heated
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020