Porch railing spacing
(04-04-2020, 02:42 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I believe a 10ft PT rail will sag unless it's blocked up in the center.
Also, I am not sure it will have enough lateral support to prevent it from failing if someone leans or falls against it.  Admittedly I am over-cautious as if my rail failed it would involve a fall of 12 feet and a future tumble of about  30 feed down a very steep grade.

In our area it has to resist 200 pounds of lateral pressure.  

I would also note, that in our area at least horizontal rails are forbidden as it makes it too easy for a child to climb.  I do see these frequently on TV and they do look nice, but totally not to code in our area. The cable systems too.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-04-2020, 02:31 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: 4x4 post in the center of the 10' rails sound good.
Balusters on 4" cc sounds good.

I think your plan is well thought out.

Thanks.

Sorry for late posts here, guys, 'puter died after posting this. Any idea how hard it is to get a new one these days? Will be here in a about a week, using my son's for today.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(04-04-2020, 06:49 PM)goaliedad Wrote: I agree with Neil. I would put a “post” in between the three you plan, but would have it go only to the lower cross piece. This gives you the look of 10 feet but the support you need

Thanks Neil and goalie dad, that was my thought/concern as well. Additional cost is minor since a 4x4 is 8' and posts will be 3', gives me plenty of 2' scrap. Only additional cost is the post base (required here to keep the post out of water).
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(04-04-2020, 06:56 PM)srv52761 Wrote: What are the dimensions of your top and bottom rails?

Using 2x4's, possibly trimmed to 2x3's for esthetics, I think it would look better to be slightly narrower than the posts. Everything is going to be painted, so the trimming shouldn't compromise the treated lumber.
Mike

(04-06-2020, 12:32 PM)Cooler Wrote: Also, I am not sure it will have enough lateral support to prevent it from failing if someone leans or falls against it.  Admittedly I am over-cautious as if my rail failed it would involve a fall of 12 feet and a future tumble of about  30 feed down a very steep grade.

In our area it has to resist 200 pounds of lateral pressure.  

I would also note, that in our area at least horizontal rails are forbidden as it makes it too easy for a child to climb.  I do see these frequently on TV and they do look nice, but totally not to code in our area. The cable systems too.

Hmm. Hadn't thought of the lateral pressure. Wonder if a post at 5' just to the bottom rail would be enough? Already seems like a minimum from other posts to prevent sagging.

Perhaps switching over to three sections with 6-1/2' spacing is a better idea.
Mike

(04-07-2020, 09:22 AM)Scouter Wrote: Hmm. Hadn't thought of the lateral pressure. Wonder if a post at 5' just to the bottom rail would be enough? Already seems like a minimum from other posts to prevent sagging.

Perhaps switching over to three sections with 6-1/2' spacing is a better idea.

I used the pre-cut posts from Lowes.  I am not going to remove them, but I now feel that they are somewhat suspect.  They are notched at the bottom to 2" x 4" which makes installing them easier and requires shorter bolts, but it is clearly not as strong as a full 4" x 4" post.

This is the type of post that I used:
[Image: 4.5+ft.+H+x+3+in.+W+Treated+Notched+Newel+Post.jpg]

In retrospect I would have had a stronger installation like this:

[Image: 727PvhbGtq5r_Oiun3mM1V2zjRhHjisthjRWAECn...DDFAxbzB8w]
I do have a post every  5 feet however so I don't think it is a serious enough problem to re-do the railing.  Also my posts were inboard of the perimeter so only one post in the corners was required.  I did have to notch out for the posts however.
(04-07-2020, 10:02 AM)Cooler Wrote: I used the pre-cut posts from Lowes.  I am not going to remove them, but I now feel that they are somewhat suspect.  They are notched at the bottom to 2" x 4" which makes installing them easier and requires shorter bolts, but it is clearly not as strong as a full 4" x 4" post.

This is the type of post that I used:
[Image: 4.5+ft.+H+x+3+in.+W+Treated+Notched+Newel+Post.jpg]

In retrospect I would have had a stronger installation like this:

[Image: 727PvhbGtq5r_Oiun3mM1V2zjRhHjisthjRWAECn...DDFAxbzB8w]
I do have a post every  5 feet however so I don't think it is a serious enough problem to re-do the railing.  Also my posts were inboard of the perimeter so only one post in the corners was required.  I did have to notch out for the posts however.

My construct is on a concrete porch. The verticals are 4" in from the edge, on a riser because local code requires they do not sit on the concrete to prevent rot from water.

This is the riser, but, of course, the base would be concrete, not a wooden deck.

[Image: peak-products-post-bases-4080-31_145.jpg]

Already spoke with the mfgr, it is approved for concrete work, just substitute the screws with 1-1/2" - 2" Tapcon.
Mike

(04-07-2020, 10:34 AM)Scouter Wrote: My construct is on a concrete porch. The verticals are 4" in from the edge, on a riser because local code requires they do not sit on the concrete to prevent rot from water.

This is the riser, but, of course, the base would be concrete, not a wooden deck.

[Image: peak-products-post-bases-4080-31_145.jpg]

Already spoke with the mfgr, it is approved for concrete work, just substitute the screws with 1-1/2" - 2" Tapcon.
How high off the ground is this?   Most concrete decks are just a few inches above the ground and a railing would not be required.

I've seen some very nice seating benches that run alongside the railings.  I do wonder if that is safe for families with children.  The kids could climb on the bench and then easily go over the side. 

It looks nice and provides a lot of seating:

[Image: 5e4e60f0d646605109b21abbadf2d2b2.jpg]
(04-07-2020, 12:05 PM)Cooler Wrote: How high off the ground is this?   Most concrete decks are just a few inches above the ground and a railing would not be required.

I've seen some very nice seating benches that run alongside the railings.  I do wonder if that is safe for families with children.  The kids could climb on the bench and then easily go over the side. 

It looks nice and provides a lot of seating:

It varies from 10" to 7-1/2'.
Mike

(04-07-2020, 12:14 PM)Scouter Wrote: It varies from 10" to 7-1/2'.

Where I live you would not be required to install railing on the 10" end.  Check on that.  Seating would make a lot of sense, or long deep planters, or a combination of planters, coffee tables and seating. 

The 7½ foot high end would require railing.  I think it starts at 2 feet or so.

[Image: bbae0087e6ce5467f25a2721670191d4.jpg]