A new til for the planes?
never had one of the Millers Falls planes chatter.

Planks were hauled to the shop, today..
Winkgrin

Needed cut into a pair of 30" long top and bottom, and a pair of 37-1/2" long side boards...
Used a pair of handsaws..
Rolleyes

Both are D8 Disstons.   Panel saw is 10ppi, the longer one is 11 ppi.  Just to give them a workout...

was trying to work out of the Tool Cabinet...and see how that will work out...Left a few out, as I wasn't quite done with them..
Winkgrin

Decided to try "Tails First", even though I am not a big fan...
No

Tails laid out...then sawn..

then the waste was removed..

Used these, to lay out the pins...

Then saw on the waste side of the lines, leaving the lines, then chop 1/2 way down from one face, flip over, and complete the pins..
Winkgrin

Then the dry fit....meh..
Rolleyes 

Hmmmm, I think the other 3 corners..I'll go back to pins first....I get better results.
Cool   Uncle Charles decided to cramp the legs up,
Upset so I swept the floor, and close the Cabinet doors..til tomorrow...
Raised

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Seems that when I do pins first...things just seem to go faster...
Winkgrin 

Corner #2 dry fitted..
Cool 

then corner #3 was dry fitted....

Finally, corner #4 was dry fitted.   have to keep these labeled as to which goes where.
Rolleyes

tomorrow, I can start on adding the shelves...I hope.  Was a chippy kind of day..
Winkgrin

Chips were flying everywhere, even bouncing off of me.  

A few "Senior Moments"...had to keep double checking layouts...and which side of a board went where...

make a lot of saw dust, too...1300hrs start time...to..1645hrs quitting time....hands started to get crampy..
No ..legs were fine, as I spent most of the time sitting down on the shop stool...
Rolleyes

shopping trip:   Found out the boards I am using are 1 x 8s.
Raised ..NOT the 1 x 10s the rack they were in said.....as I went out and bought an extra 1 x 10....got home.....Hmmm
Raised Something didn't quite jive.   Too late now....will simply rip the wider board for width....may have a use for the "extra"...The only 1/4" x 4' x 4' plywood left at the Blue BORG....was Pine.    I guess I can make do
Rolleyes ....Had them make a FREE cut, so I would have the 30" side ready....then trim the excess to fit.   May use the extra plywood over at the saw til....later. 

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
One of them days, today.   Went to the shop, to lay out a few things....just do layouts...right?  plopped the case onto the bench...began marking which was the "Top" and..

Which will be the Bottom of the case....then began laying out where some of the dividers for the drawers will go...3 drawers = 2 dividers...
Winkgrin

Then started out laying out where the shelves will go...had to use the plans..
Rolleyes  

Then decided to carry the lines on across to the other side panel....
Cool  

Clamped both together, back to back.  So when I flip them back onto the case's bottom and top, things will line up....Then the fun began...
Rolleyes 

Everything clamped down, so they won't move...router set up....needed to find a way to set the router guide in the right spot..
Rolleyes  

Needed to find out how far from the shelf top to the guide was, so the router bit would be centered....

And, make the cut.   Then reset, and repeat..

Got to here...had to rotate things around, and do the last two grooves/sockets...then stand things up, to see how things lined up..

Like 5 bow ties?   next, once I figured out how long a shelf needed to be. cut one shelf, aligned it up with the bottom of the case...mark lines across to match..and cut more grooves/sockets...
Winkgrin

These will house the two dividers....next?   Stay tuned, had a boat load of pins to mill...
Cool
Twas a busy day...two work-out sessions, so far....
Rolleyes 
Pins...the part that will slide into the sockets...to lock the shelves in place....

Hey, I did find the edge guide for that router!
Cool   That set up?  

Thought I could cut a bunch at once....had issues with doing to center 2 cuts....dropped back to one or 2 cuts, and not bother running in-between the parts...One came out way too skinny.  kept at it....found out what size to cut the dividers to....
Cool 

Once the bottom panel is driven down into place, the dividers will just slide right in...Ran out of stock for the last 3 shelves....Had to rip a 1 x 10 to the correct width...and to the right length.   The last 1 x 8 was also cut to length....then more pins were milled...

Waiting on the camera battery to recharge...along with me.  
Rolleyes
Winkgrin MIGHT try a glue up later....too many joints, too many clamps & cauls, and not nearly enough hands..or room.  Going to be a b.....ear to get things together, all glued up and square....cussing level will make a Marine blush...
Upset 

Stay tuned...Film @ 2300 hrs....I hope.
Rolleyes 
that old router is still going strong, too...

Stage all the parts to where I can grab them...shelves?  
Winkgrin

5 shelves, and 2 dividers...then, start spreading the glue....some needed a bit more room to do..
Rolleyes  

The real "fun" began, right after the clamps went onto the ends
Upset   As the sides bowed in....had to use a screwdriver to pry an opening for either a shelf, or a divider to start into the sockets..
Upset and the cussing soon began
Angry  

Wasn't just here...but all down the line..
Raised 

Right to the last shelf
Upset ..Then lay this mess down flat, and install more clamps...
Uhoh  

Even added a couple more, after this photo was taken....red circles show where I needed a pair of Visegrips, to lock the clamps' ends so things will STAY clamped....grrrr..

Which meant that "Stage 7" of this glue up was..
Winkgrin 

because I think I earned at least one of these...maybe 2?

Clamps come off after lunch, today.    Then see about adding the back to the case, and squaring up the case....glue and screws for that.   Then set it up where it will go, and start one doors and drawers....good thing there are 4 more "Blondes" left in the fridge...
stay tuned...
Clamps came off...most of the greaks, groans, and other noises came from...me.   Couple shelves were loose...added a pair of screws out on each end of the main shelves...then set this thing up on a pair of "foot pads" for a little bit...
Winkgrin

hauled the plywood to the shop...plopped on top of the bench....measured how much to trim off the end....

Yes I wore those goggles.  Circular saw has a bad habit of throwing chips straight up.   Vise was opened to both clear the saw blade, and support the cutoff better.   Move things around, to where the back of the case is sitting where I can add the plywood back....beads of glue run around...clamp the case and plywood, and establish one square corner..
Winkgrin   

Then a long pipe clamp to pull the case into square....

using 1" screws as I went....until I ran out of those screws....then a few 1-5/8" took over.   Then installed the foot pads to the bottom of the case.   Set this mess up, and "walk" it over to the spot where it will call "Home".    Double checked that the door from the tool cabinet could swing past...the screws to fasten the pads down....then "Load it up!"
Winkgrin 

90% of the plane in the shop...even found a "Centerpiece" for the top of the case...
Cool 

Methinks that should set it off, nicely....22" long #81 from Auburn Tool Co. , IF I remember correctly. 
Confused

But, I wasn't quite done for the day....Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Alrighty...for the next part of Saturday's Follies....wanted to start on the drawers next....have to wait a few days on the plexiglass for the door(s)...had a stack of cut-offs, of Pine....I thought I could rip to the sizes the drawers will need.  
Cool  

To do that, I needed to find my tablesaw....it was somewhere right about...
Confused 

Where that green handle was sitting....so, move things around a bit, and...

Well, well, lookee what I found
Winkgrin   Measured how wide a piece to rip...set up the rip fence...
Cool

And remembered to plug it in.   Needed 12 parts, to build 3 drawers...stack the parts up where I'll be working..

Then the fitting for lengths could begin....marking for crosscuts...
Winkgrin

Both for the sides of the drawers, and the drawer fronts....will wait on the backs until a little further along...

Well, I thought I was done for the day.
Rolleyes ..wrong.
No   Got to thinking ( Dangerous, I know..
Rolleyes ) about those 3/4" thick sides and backs...I was ok with the 3/4" thick fronts, but......finally, while on Laundry Detail....reset the rip fenceand raised the blade all the way up...about 1/2" between the blade and the fence...was about a close as I could safely saw...may save the cut-offs...
Cool  

Run each part through on one edge, best face against the fence...then keeping the same face against the fence, rotate and run the other edge through...blade just barely reach the center of the boards....so, now the drawer sides and backs are about 1/2" thick...
Winkgrin  

So...the next time in the shop...dovetails will be cut.....pins first.
Uhoh ..then a few grooves for the bottoms to sit in.   Backs will sit in dados...will be a chance to use that Stanley No. 71-1/2.  
Cool
Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
Looking good. I have to admit that I was expecting about twice that many planes based on some of your posts.

Question, why did you opt to have the planes sitting with their sides facing out rather than the totes facing out? For the really long one, it obvious but for the 4’s it seems they would be easier to access the other way.
The #3s and #4s.... are longer than the shelf is wide....and, there will be a door(s) that will close the til up....shelves are 1x8s....

besides...there are a few over in the Tool Cabinet....ready for use when those doors open for business...

including the Stanley #8. 

Have priced the plexiglass panel for the door...~ $20....Piano hinges are about $6 a pair...depending on whether I need one or two doors. Latches like the Tool Cabinet has..around $5 for a pair.  Waiting on next PayDay (3rd wed. of the month) to lay in the rest of the supplies.  

Will need to step back, and better organize that Red Shelf.....getting to be a Grab Bag affair....maybe sort through and reset where things are going...Shelf under the bench is now "hosting" Power tools..like sanders and drills....and a "Parts Plane" or two...

Will work on the drawers first....might even see about some dividers in the drawers...
Confused
A Sunday afternoon...might as well putter in the shop for a while?   Spent a bit of the time fitting up drawer parts..had already got them the right thicknesses..needed to fit them into the case..

Sides for the drawers...some needed their ends squared up, some needed to be trimmed to match it's neighbor...most needed planed on an edge to fit into the opening better...usually done in pairs...with an old Stanley No. 3..
Rolleyes
Moxxon TP, anyone?   Same with the drawer fronts....all needed a little fine tuning..
Rolleyes

Ends squared, edges planed to fit...then, the tablesaw was put to use
Rolleyes ..grooves for the drawer bottom to sit in, and a dado for the drawer back...

dados were cleaned up as needed...and...

The 1/4" wide grooves were also cleaned up.  

Backs were also fitted...all set for dovetails up front?
Winkgrin

Pins first, of course
Rolleyes ....I might get the hang of these, someday?
Winkgrin 

Plywood for the drawer's bottom was cut to size...test fits done,,time for glue and clamps on drawer No.1
Confused   

For once, no metal fasteners were used, other than a forest of clamps and the glue...
Winkgrin  

Kind of takes up most of the bench...and all the clamps I used for things this size....will let this set overnight...fine tune the fit in the morning, and start on drawer #2.  Will see IF I have some more handles in the shop....otherwise....

Stay tuned  
Winkgrin

Attached Files Image(s)