If I use two finishes, will it trigger the apocalypse?
I did two dumb things at the exact same time. One was putting finish where I shouldn't have. The second thing was using the wrong finish. Sometimes, I need to slow down! Question about the latter dumb thing.

I made a small, dovetailed pear box. I meant to use orange shellac, which I mixed up a few days ago from flakes. But out of habit, I put wipe-on poly on the bottom and the inside walls. Is there any reason I can't keep the poly on the inside, and use shellac on the outside? I can't imagine it will matter from the standpoint of, I dunno, moisture or something. I think. Right? And having the inside with a different tone than the outside is not a problem aesthetically. 

Do I go for it?

Thanks,
Aram
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
It will be fine.

In fact, shellac on the inside will block the smell.

Dewaxed preferred.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Put the shellac over the top of the varnish, like Rob said it will seal the smell. Other wise you'll be reminded of what you did every time you open the box.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks, all.

**filler***************
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site