Tune your bandsaw
Politics 
and ignore the few words of profanity..some people can't say ten words with using it.
Crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DzbJYIPPNE
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-06-2020, 01:29 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: and ignore the few words of profanity..some people can't say ten words with using it.
Crazy

He's a saint compared to many.  And he has some very good insights on how to set up a bandsaw, some of which are completely ignored by many users even when their saw doesn't cut well.  But maybe he should buy better quality blades rather than spend all that time grinding them until they run true. 

John
(04-06-2020, 01:29 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: and ignore the few words of profanity..some people can't say ten words with using it.
Crazy

Thanks for that.

I just tuned my bandsaw based on another video and can't get it to resaw at all.  I will dress my cool blocks see if i can get my bandsaw working again.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(04-10-2020, 06:34 AM)photobug Wrote: Thanks for that.

I just tuned my bandsaw based on another video and can't get it to resaw at all.  I will dress my cool blocks see if i can get my bandsaw working again.

Guides are way down the list as an influence for cutting straight.  Guides are mostly important to keep the blade from twisting when making curved cuts.  For cutting straight the number one thing is a sharp blade with equal set to the teeth.  Number two is enough tension on the blade so it doesn't deflect in the cut.  Small saws with low tension, like my 14" Delta, require careful set up to cut straight but it will if I do everything right.  My larger saw can easily run at twice the tension on a blade twice as wide and that makes cutting straight inherently easier and more tolerant of set up errors.  When it's set up well t will cut straight without the blade ever touching the guides. All this is to say focus your efforts on centering the blade on the upper wheel, adjust the table so the miter slot is parallel with the blade, and then set the fence parallel with the miter slot.  if you have a sharp blade with equal set to the teeth it should cut straight and parallel with the fence or, at most, it will take a minor forward/backward adjustment of the blade on the upper wheel.  If it won't cut straight then it's time to check to see if the wheels are coplaner.  My 14" Delta would not cut straight no matter what until I adjusted the wheels to be coplaner.  Despite what Mr. Snodgrass says it does matter.  My larger saw came with the wheels perfectly coplaner and has cut straight from day one.  Drift only happens when there is a problem.  

John
(04-10-2020, 10:12 AM)jteneyck Wrote: My larger saw came with the wheels perfectly coplaner and has cut straight from day one.  Drift only happens when there is a problem.  

John

It is a 14" Delta.  2 weeks ago it made a fairly decent 6" resaw or two then the blade just started wandering badly.  I ruined a bunch of pieces quickly.  Moved to the table saw to resaw.  I will check coplanar and continue to look for a bigger bandsaw.  

I thought when I replaced my craftsman with the Delta, I would have been better off but that has not been the case.
(04-10-2020, 06:17 PM)photobug Wrote: It is a 14" Delta.  2 weeks ago it made a fairly decent 6" resaw or two then the blade just started wandering badly.  I ruined a bunch of pieces quickly.  Moved to the table saw to resaw.  I will check coplanar and continue to look for a bigger bandsaw.  

I thought when I replaced my craftsman with the Delta, I would have been better off but that has not been the case.

Sharpen the blade...Even if it is new..sharpen it...the teeth on a really sharp blade will "catch" the skin like a hypodermic needle..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-11-2020, 09:14 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........
Sharpen the blade...Even if it is new..sharpen it...the teeth on a really sharp blade will "catch" the skin like a hypodermic needle..

Thanks,
Realized I have a backup (possibly a superior) resaw blade.  I will do a blade swap tomorrow and sharpen the current blade for backup.
(04-10-2020, 06:17 PM)photobug Wrote: It is a 14" Delta.  2 weeks ago it made a fairly decent 6" resaw or two then the blade just started wandering badly.  I ruined a bunch of pieces quickly.  Moved to the table saw to resaw.  I will check coplanar and continue to look for a bigger bandsaw.  

If it cut straight and then didn't the blade is bad, as Timberwolf said.   I've had blades go bad in 20 or 30 feet.  

"Fairly decent" though suggests it wasn't great to begin with.  To resaw on the Delta you should be using a 3/8" or 1/2" x 3 or 4 tpi blade.  A new, sharp blade.  

John