Dutch tool chests - do you still love them
Hi all,

I'm somewhat new to the hand tools scene but I'm seeing it might be my woodworking future. A little back story, I don't have a lot of room for tool storage and none of it is where I actually use my tools.  I have found that moving big heavy machines from storage space to using space is somewhat of a chore. Especially since I have to clean them before they go back to where I keep them so they don't get dust all over the house.  

Currently, I have a miscellaneous collection of planes, chisels and saws, etc that I keep in a large under the bed type plastic tote container.  That is not ideal for getting my hand tools from inside the house to outside.  I was thinking maybe one of those Dutch chests that were quite popular a little while back might be just the thing. I see that it was kind of the latest in the popular things to build (even St Roy said so in his episode on the chest).  

So my questions are
If you built one, do you still use it and would you recommend one?
Is it movable by a single person or is it just too heavy once loaded up?
If too heavy, is it sturdy enough for added wheels and to withstand the bumps and thumps it will experience moving from one space to another.  

My other thought is maybe a couple of those Japanese tool chests.  My hand skills are limited so I don't want to tackle anything like a Stickley chest or similar at this point.
Yes! I would recommend, and build it sized to your tools. As for weight, I would probably have to unload some of the tools, but then again, I'm 67 and as full of pee and vinegar as I once was. Instead of wheels, maybe build a sub-platform to sit it in, that would have casters on?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I was thinking that one of those fold up dolly carts might work for mobility, but then it would still be on the floor once I get it outside.
Quite happy with mine. All my regular-use tools live in it or in the rolling cabinet underneath. Seldom close the lid.

Duplicates and less used tools live in a filing cabinet.

I'd build it again.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I built one. When I read Chris Schwarz' article in PWW I realized that I had all
the materials necessary, wood and hardware. I also had my hand tool collection
scattered in various places in my wood shop.

Still have it. Still use it. I have always admired the wall mounted ones, and will
probably go that way some day. But my Dutch tool chest has served me very
well so far.

Action shot of mine being used, taken a few years back....

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Nice.  So the big question is can you move it about without killing yourself?  I will have to be able to carry mine.  It will probably live in a closet inside and then go out to the carport when I need to use the tools.
(04-07-2020, 01:25 PM)stav Wrote: Nice.  So the big question is can you move it about without killing yourself?  I will have to be able to carry mine.  It will probably live in a closet inside and then go out to the carport when I need to use the tools.

Yes, and I'm an old goat.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I think that the ease of moving a mobile tool chest will depend not only on it loaded weight, wheel diameter, and construction but also the terrain over which it will be/can be moved. 

My shop floor is troweled smooth concrete. The drive way and apron leading to the shop is not smooth and has a slight incline. Moving mobile carts in the shop is no problem as long as the floor is relatively clean and free of large chips, etc. But when moving carts in the driveway and up the incline it becomes more difficult. You mentioned moving the tool cart through the house. Rugs and thresholds just might be a problem.

Jim Tolpin's "The Tool Box" (Taunton Press 1995) , pp 181-185, has two mobile tool boxes. Check if your local libabry has it or look on the used book site. Found some at:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-toolbo...iq=6572903
To be honest, mine has not been moved much since I have filled it up.
I can lift it, but I doubt I could do much more than move it onto a
moving dolly and transport it that way.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I don't recall if I ever posted a photo of mine (the shell has been done for over a year, I've just been slowly working on fitting the tools on the inside). It is not exactly the Dutch tool chest. But I like it. There were some articles talking about building a seperate box for underneath if you wanted more storage room. And everyone seemed to take the normal one and put it on a stool, etc. to get a good height. As I knew I would never want to take it out of the shop, I just built a really tall one (three sections underneath the main area), as I had no reason for separating it.

The things I'm not a big fan of:
The "lock" for the front panel is a pain in the neck if you need to get into it for one thing quickly. This doesn't sound like it would be a problem for you, as you sound like you are already having to set things up. For me there are some things in the lower section (like my combo square) that I sometimes just want to grab and use around the house. I could solve this by mounting the tools I really want access to on the lid, but I haven't gotten around to it/figured out how I want to do it yet.

It takes an amazing amount of time to plan and fit out the inside. Part of the reason I've been doing this so slowly is I want to see what I want where, and what works best for me.

I sometimes wish it was deeper. But that would have made construction significantly more difficult (unless you have some wide boards laying around). Then again. If you carried it I wouldn't want it that wide, so this probably isn't as issue for you.

Overall I really like it though, and I'm glad I have it.