Dutch tool chests - do you still love them
Rob's tool chest is very inventive but a bit more complicated than I want to try to ts Klein at the moment. Besides, I don't have any ply.
Is there a plan somewhere for a smaller, more portable Dutch Tool Chest? I thought I once saw one.
(04-09-2020, 09:58 AM)overland Wrote: Is there a plan somewhere for a smaller, more portable Dutch Tool Chest? I thought I once saw one.

Yes, strike the Dutch and add the Viking 
Smile
Smile

Chris
Viking tools needs appear to be a little more spartan than my own. I’d need a few of those for the little bit that I have.
I have not read the entire thread.. but Stav, have you thought about buying or making something like this:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-7...lsrc=aw.ds
(04-09-2020, 09:58 AM)overland Wrote: Is there a plan somewhere for a smaller, more portable Dutch Tool Chest? I thought I once saw one.

Design scales pretty well up and down. The one C.S. published was based on two things as I recall. Depth was width of boards commonly available from home center. Width & height based on things to store.

I've helped a lot of people build these and if building from something other than pine, say poplar, consider thinning the material to 5/8" as it will reduce the weight and help compensate for the increase in weight between poplar and white-pine. I believe the back boards can be reduced to 1/2" with no issues in any material. 

Mine is a mix of white pine and a few yellow pine boards. Started from BORG stock and it got thinned out to flatten various parts. No issues for me.

But I should at some point swap out the screws that hold the handles on the side for bolts that go through with a nice washer on the inside. Mine doesn't get lifted much so pretty low priority.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Paul, I haven't looked at that specific chest, but I did find a Platt Guardsman on Craigslist really cheap ($25).  I bought it thinking I could outfit the inside to hold the bulk of my tools. I realized it will take a lot of configuring that to make it work and then it still won't be able to hold everything. Purpose built seems like the best option.

I may still try to outfit the Platt for some things, even though my jointer plane is not going to fit.

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-09-2020, 07:35 PM)stav Wrote: Paul, I haven't looked at that specific chest, but I did find a Platt Guardsman on Craigslist really cheap ($25).  I bought it thinking I could outfit the inside to hold the bulk of my tools. I realized it will take a lot of configuring that to make it work and then it still won't be able to hold everything. Purpose built seems like the best option.

I may still try to outfit the Platt for some things, even though my jointer plane is not going to fit.

I have something very, very similar; they were throwing it out at work, so I snagged it; its lined with foam as it was used to ship electronics internationally, so I'd have to rip that out and configure, a lot of work...
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
1911 James Swan Company catalog lists 3 tool chests, complete with tools, and...4 tool cabinets, also complete with tools....Style C had 87 tools..$60.00
length=32inches, width = 18 inches, depth = 16 inches,   "Superior Mechanics Tool Chest"  print on the inside of the lid.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-15-2020, 02:03 PM)bandit571 Wrote: 1911 James Swan Company catalog lists 3 tool chests, complete with tools, and...4 tool cabinets, also complete with tools....Style C had 87 tools..$60.00
length=32inches, width = 18 inches, depth = 16 inches,   "Superior Mechanics Tool Chest"  print on the inside of the lid.

Something in the vicinity of $1500 in today's dollars...
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin