Dutch tool chests - do you still love them
made my back hurt looking at them....so....I do like my version a little bit better...no bending over to hunt for a tool...

Needs a Calendar on one door....opened for business...

And, no bending over to get out a tool...
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Bandit, the OP wanted to know about Dutch Tool chests specifically.

I made one basically just for fun. I started to outfit it for my son, but he has not taken to it. He works at a high end cabinet shop and when he gets off work, woodworking is the last thing he wants to think about. It is sitting in the basement unused. I think I am going to change out the interior tool holding system to something better suited for the tools I use on a regular basis. Or force it upon him and make another for me (which would be more funner).
Neither have the room for one...and also gave up on the Anarchist Tool Chest....after a one year try.....when one has to reach into the bottom of one of those to get out a single tool, let alone all the tools needed for that day's tasks....

And try not to get "knee-capped" when the lid was shut...

But, maybe those with better, younger backs won't mind all the bending over....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-07-2020, 08:09 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Neither have the room for one...and also gave up on the Anarchist Tool Chest....after a one year try.....when one has to reach into the bottom of one of those to get out a single tool, let alone all the tools needed for that day's tasks....

And try not to get "knee-capped" when the lid was shut...

But, maybe those with better, younger backs won't mind all the bending over....

I'm with you on this point, Bandit.

I think the OP is fishing for an easy solution to move his tools. And, probably store them in the same movable container. I think a tool box, or cabinet, not attached to the wall but fixed on dolly-like wheels would be the ticket.
I typically work out of a larger chest when I'm in my regular shop (I have too many tools...and they don't all fit in the DTC), but I find the Dutch tool chest is excellent for travel and fits a full kit of whatever I might need for a given project, plus some. And yes, I can lift it myself (barely) when it's full. That said, my largest plane is a No. 7, so I made my chest about 2"-3" narrower that what's in the plan to better be able to get my arms around it.
That is correct. I need a mobile place to store my tools.

I looked at that other tool chest and it did not appeal. Too complicated to get to things. The Dutch chest seems more open.

I wish I had a spot to store my tools where I use them.
I am forever futzing around doing home repairs; and, dragging a massive pile of tools and hardware to and from the work area over lawn, boulders and hills. I have used several crates, and those orange 5-gallon pails HD sells. But every project entails miles of walking for various odds and ends. A loose two-wheel dolly to carry the junk does not work. It goes one way and the tools another, every 5 seconds. 

However attaching the wheels to a crib (chest) is all the difference. Hard wheels about 8-inch diameter, and larger, will navigate lawn, gravel, and mole mounds. All you need do is estimate your volume needs and limitations, put the box together and go to town. Just be easy on yourself. Make the first one quick, crude, and functional. It will serve to inspire improvements.

There are probably ready made plastic alternatives. They all have drawbacks, the biggest one being price.
Yes, not looking to spend any money at the moment. Besides, I looked at all manner of tub, tote and pre built tool chest and none really offered what I wanted. 

I have some wood that has been waiting around for a purpose and this seems as good as any. It will also give me the experience of building something useful.
I'm in the middle of building one and fitting it out with racks.  It's together enough to use now, and I do use it.  But fully loaded it's heavy!  I can lift it, but I wouldn't want to do it often, or move it very far.  Eventually I will put it on wheels.  But while working on it I have been thinking how I would make it more portable.  

If I were to build another one, I would build the top section only, with the width just enough to fit a 20-inch panel saw.  Then I'd build the lower shelves as separate nesting boxes, sort of like how beehives are made.  Better to move several smaller things than one big heavy thing. 

In the top section I would put in it the bare essentials for most work.  More specialty items would be in the lower units.

Of course I would really limit what I put into it as well.  For example, I own a dozen braces, but only one goes in the box.

DC
I always wanted to make this from Grizzly of which has the plans

As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.