Tung Oil Finish Top Coat?
I've made a small red oak caddy for a nutmeg grater.  I have finished it with four coats of pure tung oil cut 50-50 with citrus solvent.  I've now got a mirror finish, with which I am very happy.

However, I wonder whether I should seal the finish with a wax?  I understand the tung oil is non-toxic and food safe, but the citrus solvent does leave a lingering odor and I'm concerned that could leach into my ground nutmeg or other spices I grind.

Is this purely a matter of waiting for the finish to fully cure?  And then the odor will disappear?  Or should I give it a wax finish?

Thanks for any advice.

Greg
Wax would leave more odors. I would let it dry for a week and see if the citrus odor goes away.
(04-07-2020, 08:00 PM)Scoony Wrote: Wax would leave more odors. I would let it dry for a week and see if the citrus odor goes away.

That will now be the plan.  It's not as if I'm always grating nutmeg, so time is on my side.

Thanks!

Greg
I finished the floor in the guest room with Waterlox tung oil.  It only gets light use.  The finish was easy to apply and looks terrific.  Long drying time. And I waited two weeks before I put back the furniture. 

I think the cure time is the biggest handicap.  With good circulation they say it is safe to walk on in 24 hours.  But a full cure takes quite a bit longer.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.