Interesting plane preparation huh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16iPvVJObvc

I didn't realize there was so much to do before even beginning to use it!
I'm thinking a nice metal Stanley type 11 with a Lee Valley iron!

Doug

Who's exhausted just watching this video!
Excellent intro video if you want to move from metallic body planes. I think I'll remain a western style woodworker.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Wow.  I have a couple of Japanese saws that I really like.  I was thinking about trying out a Japanese plane.  After all that, I think I'll have to pass.
To each their own. I have other ways to do things. I must confess that there are times I spend an inordinate amount of time on some task or other.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I fell asleep. zzz zzz zzz zzz zzz
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-10-2020, 08:36 PM)AHill Wrote: I fell asleep.  zzz  zzz zzz zzz zzz

A kanna user probably feels the same way when watching western plane fettlement, tuning, and sharpening. I see so many similarities. However, I did my own speedup editing only because there is no plan to use eastern planes; especially after watching the video. Thank the dragons for real-life demonstrations.
(04-11-2020, 09:57 AM)hbmcc Wrote: A kanna user probably feels the same way when watching western plane fettlement, tuning, and sharpening. I see so many similarities. However, I did my own speedup editing only because there is no plan to use eastern planes; especially after watching the video. Thank the dragons for real-life demonstrations.

I remember the very first time I ever saw an Asian plane and saw...I was assigned to guard a "work party" of Chinese and North Korean prisoners of war who were to do some "carpentry" for the platoon...I had never heard of or seen any tools that were pulled and not pushed!!!!!! One could speak a little English and he made belt buckles out of the brass 155mm shell casings back at the POW camp...using tools he had made from scrap metal...a piece of a hacksaw blade, a file and a hammer....this was how he made a few cents for extras...I paid him a little for mine and I still have them.....This was in late 1951 or '52......I think the term for it today is "trench art"..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

What surprised me most was the opening part where they tell you to let the body season for 18 months. Wow! I buy a plane and I can't even use it for 18 months, plus the extra time to set it up. I wonder what the waiting time for using a wood-bodied Western plane was? I know what it takes to set one up, but I'd never heard of letting a wood plane body season for that long. It's almost like the kanna in the video was a kit, and not a ready-to-use out-of-the-box plane.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-12-2020, 12:58 PM)AHill Wrote: What surprised me most was the opening part where they tell you to let the body season for 18 months.  Wow!  I buy a plane and I can't even use it for 18 months, plus the extra time to set it up.  I wonder what the waiting time for using a wood-bodied Western plane was?  I know what it takes to set one up, but I'd never heard of letting a wood plane body season for that long.  It's almost like the kanna in the video was a kit, and not a ready-to-use out-of-the-box plane.

That's to make you feel good Alan, about the plane you bought that you couldn't get to work! You can now say it is "seasoning"!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com