Source for dewaxed orange shellac flakes?
(04-10-2020, 12:38 PM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, at $20 a quart, if you don't need a quart and you don't use it for 90 days, you are better off with flakes.  Flakes never go bad if you keep them in a refrigerator (I have some that are 12 years old, or older) and you always have fresh shellac.  You can also fine tune your cut for the job.  I gave up on Zinnzer a long time ago as it went bad rather quickly (things may have changed) and went to flakes, and never went back.
Exactly. I am using flakes I bought -- ten years ago? Twelve?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(04-10-2020, 12:38 PM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, at $20 a quart, if you don't need a quart and you don't use it for 90 days, you are better off with flakes.  Flakes never go bad if you keep them in a refrigerator (I have some that are 12 years old, or older) and you always have fresh shellac.  You can also fine tune your cut for the job.  I gave up on Zinnzer a long time ago as it went bad rather quickly (things may have changed) and went to flakes, and never went back.

I pay $39/gallon for Sealcooat.  You can't buy alcohol and #2 lbs of flakes for that.  I can't speak for the other Zinsser shellac products but Sealcoat lasts for at least 2 years.  I've never had Sealcoat go bad, but I have had it chew through the side of the can, so I put the can in a larger plastic bucket in case another one decides to leak.  Sealcoat comes as a 2# cut and you can thin it as desired, so the only shortcoming compared to flakes is you can't go to a higher cut; never been an issue for me.  And I'm not stuck with whatever color the flakes happen to be; I can make any and I mean any color by adding Transtint dye to it.  

John
(04-11-2020, 06:56 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I pay $39/gallon for Sealcooat.  You can't buy alcohol and #2 lbs of flakes for that.  I can't speak for the other Zinsser shellac products but Sealcoat lasts for at least 2 years. 

John

I'm surprised it will last that long.  I wonder what additives they put into it to increase its lifespan.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-12-2020, 12:28 PM)Admiral Wrote: I'm surprised it will last that long.  I wonder what additives they put into it to increase its lifespan.

No idea but they've been doing it with Sealcoat as long as I've used it which is at least 10 years.  

John