Bathroom Fan and Heater
(04-08-2020, 06:02 PM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Hi Folks,

I've been shopping for a new bathroom vent fan/heater combo unit.  So far, the selection doesn't seem very plentiful, so maybe I'm missing something.

Some facts:

1. The existing unit is a combination vent and heater.  The bathroom has a dedicated 20 A circuit for this device.  As a result, I want to replace with a combo unit and not downgrade to vent fan only.

2. Existing unit is 12x16" on the grill.  Using a thin metal ruler, it appears to have about 1" to the box, so I think my existing hole is 10x14" approximately.  I don't mind enlarging the opening, but I'd rather not go to a smaller unit that would require drywall patching.

3. I want a unit with a light also.  Ideally, the light should be something common, so that a standard light bulb or screw in LED would work.  

Some innuendo:

1. One of the most common brands, broan/nutone, seems to have an awful lot of complaints about the heaters failing rapidly.  If I exclude this brand, the playing field gets a lot smaller.

I'd love to get some advice and recommendations about brands or other places to shop.  I've hit the big box stores and amazon already.

Thanks,
Mark

Panasonic makes great stuff not sure if they still make the heated units.  Not sure what you are up to but a mat under a tiled floor with a thermostat keeps feet warm.  I installed one in the bath but saw the electric bill go up more than I liked so stopped using it.  If I was in a colder climate it might be more important to me
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

In SW Florida, we have a heated cieling unit in master bath.
We use it maybe 3 times a year for less than 10 minutes, just to take chill off
With cent. hvac we only turn heat on about 5 times a year also. And just for 1/2 - 45 minutes.
Thought of putting a 15 minute timer on ceiling unit.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(04-10-2020, 02:18 PM)Pirate Wrote: On textured walls.
Our new to us house has textured walls, and we love them.
It's a knock down texture.
Filling a nail hole. A little filler in hole and a dab of paint, just on the filler and the hole goes away. On a flat wall?
To each his own.

Flat walls are so much easier to repair. On textured walls if you have to do a repair you end up skin coating the entire wall and then trying to replicate the texture of the other walls. Smooth walls are a piece of cake to fix. Make the patch and then feather it out and all is good. Here in TX they love this heavy texture garbage which is impossible to match. I have had projects where I have had to sand down the peaks of the texture and then have the drywall guy skim coat it and smooth it out.
We don't see much textured work in MD. I'd see it on the walls in CA. It can be matched with a little practice. Particularly on a small area. Just add water to the mud.

I asked a drywall guy when I moved to MD why they don't do textured here, he said because we know how to sand seams here. Still surprised it's done. My clients ask me how hard it is to remove it when they're buying older homes. with textured drywall.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-03-2022, 04:19 AM)stoverix Wrote: Some money is needed for this kind of investment. I have a heat radiator that helps cool as well, and I'm telling you it wasn't cheap. But these ones are cost-effective, long-term speaking! It's a great choice you made. I'd recommend you to check DELETED LINK and see if you find something that fits your requirements. If not, you could go to a physical store and ask for help. It may be better this way, as they'll sure know what you're looking for. That's what I did, and the young man was eager to help!!

4 POSTS SINCE SIGNING UP, AND ALL 4 HAD LINKS OF SPAM.

SPAMMER DISPATCHED.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(01-03-2022, 09:32 AM)barnowl Wrote: 4 POSTS SINCE SIGNING UP, AND ALL 4 HAD LINKS OF SPAM.

SPAMMER DISPATCHED.

You're on a roll Steve... whack em!
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-08-2020, 08:32 PM)toolmiser Wrote: We have an "air to air" and exhaust fans.  The fans will out perform the air to air any time.  Lots of times I will run both when taking a shower in the winter.

I totally agree with this statement.  I do think the "air to air" helps keep the everyday air in the house fresh.
Panasonic whisper fan. I’d choose a heated towel bar for added bathroom heat.