Fence Upgrade Advice Needed
(04-12-2020, 10:24 AM)GeeDub Wrote: I passed on the Accusquare since I remove my fence enough to make things a bother.  I had an Align-a-Rip on an old contractor saw and it was a good fence although no longer made as far as I know.  There is a nice looking one on that bidding site right now.  I slide the tube over for more rip capacity and stuck on a new tape.  The Vega uses a round rail which is one of the things I wanted to get away from on the old Jet-Lock.

There are currently a lot of "better than Beis" clones out there but, not in your $200 budget area.  The Delta T3 seems well liked and is the most often discussed lower cost alternative.  I would say you have a winner there unless you come across a used Beis or other heavier format fence system.

I have a couple of fences for sale. One is a Bieseeyer and the other is an Excalibur. Both are brand new in the  box. The trouble is I am in California and because of the weight and size it will be quite expensive to ship.If you want to discuss this further, pm me.
I have a new in the box Vega Pro, 50", that has never been installed. Bought it for a Unisaw I bought 15 years ago, found the stick fence worked fine. I would sell it.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Thought I'd loop back and give my impression of the Delta T3 fence.

Overall...not to bad. It is not a high end unit but then it doesn't pretend it is either.

I installed it yesterday. Took my time and got everything aligned correctly. Installed the fence and made a few adjustments.

The last thing I tried was to lock the fence to the front rail with the handle. I could not get the fence to lock on the rail rendering the entire thing useless.

Something' ain't right here. Any number of things could be at fault but the main issue is that the eccentric is not pivoting in the correct orbit. The handle would begin to engage at around 45 degrees from vertical and I could not even get it to go horizontal much less go "over center" where it would lock. I looked at it and wondered how I could move the eccentric away from the saw a little. It occurred to me to install a smaller bolt that it pivots on. Out comes the 3/8" bolt and in goes a 5/16"
That gave me enough slack that I could adjust it further with the factory buttons to get the setting just right. It works! 1/32nd made all the difference.

I still intend to call Delta and tell them the issue just so they know. I hate to buy things that I need to repair/reengineer to get it right but then I didn't get the accufence/Vega/Bies fence that others suggested. 

The extrusions that the fence is faced with are quite thin and they are bolted to the steel frame. I could adjust out most of the 90 degree with the table stuff but the sides are not quite parallel. I set the left side of the fence 90 with the table since 99.9% of my cuts are made with that face.
Some of the adjustment screws on the fence head are a little sloppy. I think once I get this dialed in, I may just put a drop of loctite on those.

Would I recommend this fence? I think so with a few caveats. Would I purchase it again? I think it is a good value and seems to be a huge improvement over the Delta Jetlock fence.

Hope ya'll are healthy,

Mark
(04-14-2020, 04:17 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I have a new in the box Vega Pro, 50", that has never been installed.  Bought it for a Unisaw I bought 15 years ago, found the stick fence worked fine.  I would sell it.

If I needed a fence I'd be all over this.  I've had a Vega and really liked it.
Big Grin
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(04-18-2020, 06:38 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: If I needed a fence I'd be all over this.  I've had a Vega and really liked it.
Big Grin

I have an older Grizzly 1023 that I equipped with a Vega Pro. Still have the combo and works great. I picked up a Unisaw and ordered another Vega Pro for it, but the Delta fence worked just fine, so the second Vega Pro is surplus!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com