18" Bandsaw: Do I Need 3hp & Brake?
I have the Grizzly G0636X which has the foot brake.  I love it for cutting logs for turning and I use the brake sometimes but most of the time I just leave and let it run out.  If I need to do any adjusting I use the brake and do what I need and turn it back on.

There is another model that has the power brake but not as big a cut height.

Last Grizzly has a sale now until 4/20.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Murray
Where are you located?

I will be selling  a virtually new  Laguna 16" band saw.
A great friend of mine has passed and I will be selling his  tools for his lovely wife.
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
(04-12-2020, 01:33 PM)2beast Wrote: Murray
Where are you located?

I will be selling  a virtually new  Laguna 16" band saw.
A great friend of mine has passed and I will be selling his  tools for his lovely wife.

I'm in Providence RI
Let me know if it's somewhat close
I'd love a used Laguna
(04-12-2020, 03:41 PM)Murray M Wrote: I'm in Providence RI
Let me know if it's somewhat close
I'd love a used Laguna

Sorry,  we are in North central Illinois.
Good luck in your quest.
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
(04-12-2020, 12:20 PM)Murray M Wrote: Thanks to TDKPE's great point, I'm now am no longer concerned about the power/HP question. I now realize I need to add a sub panel. 

Also I mistakenly thought the Laguna 18BX had the same fence as the 14BX. Sorry for my previously wrong judgement. 

I'm listening to everyone and looking up everything that's out there--even reading the manuals for both saws. Here's how I see it:

-------

The big advantage of the Laguna over the Jet is the brake. It's also got a better trunnion and I'm charmed by the elegant optional wheel kit. That said, the Jet's details tend to be metal whereas the Laguna's details tend to be plastic. Also, I've read several places that Laguna's bottom guides can be tricky to gain access to and may require the table to be rotated 45 degrees up for access [depending on the operators skill and hand size].

Having seen and read just about everything on the web that I can find on blade guides--including advocates and haters for all options--the following points stand out to me:
1) Ceramic guides are better as the side guides. Side bearing guides require more maintenance and can force sawdust to compress onto the sides of the blade.
2) Bearing guides are better as the thrust (rear) guides [in the correct side facing orientation so that the bearing rolls with the blade--not the old fashioned problematic orientation where the face of the bearing is against the blade which tends to send the blade to the side]. Properly mounted thrust bearings travel with the blade and reduce friction better than ceramic thrust pads [which acquire grooves if not rotated every 8 hours of use--which is recommended in the Laguna manual]. 
3) So a ceramic guide system has advantages for cutting curves since curves engage side guides more and a bearing guide system has advantages for cutting straight lines since the thrust guide is doing most of the work. 

Jet's advantage over the Laguna is bearing guides [assuming you're like me and will mostly use this saw for straight cuts]. It's also got a slightly better fence, better customer service reputation. 

The conclusion I'm coming to is both saws are great. It might even comes down to aesthetics. Laguna seems to have an advantage for curves and has a brake. Jet seems to have an advantage for straight cuts, slightly better fit and finish, warranty [Jet is 5 year and Laguna is difficult to find--I've tried for longer than I want to] and customer service reputation. 

I *really* wish I could see and touch both saws before deciding!

I'm still on the fence.

Analysis paralysis - still scratching my head that Grizzly didn't make the cut.  

Doug
I think everyone uses their saws differently.  I have an Italian made saw that is labelled as a Tannewitz.  It is called a 20" but the metric measurements place it closer to a 19" saw.  It is 3HP and has the brake.  In the 10 years I have owned it, I can't remember ever pushing that brake pedal.
(04-12-2020, 11:48 PM)Tapper Wrote: Analysis paralysis - still scratching my head that Grizzly didn't make the cut.  

Doug

Totally.
OMG (in Californian accent)

This is a def influenced by being stuck in my house and not being able to go to the store and look at it.

However, getting nerdy on stuff like this is a great way to deal with all the weird things in the world right now. Cheers to everyone who has wood and tools to fall back on in these overly complex and frightening times.

Cheers
(04-12-2020, 12:20 PM)Murray M Wrote: ,,,
I *really* wish I could see and touch both saws before deciding!

I'm still on the fence.

Do you have a preference on a table height for the work you plan to do with this saw?
(something like zambus casters could raise this up a bit if the saw is a bit low for you)

If you got a 3 phase converter, the market for used 3ph equipment opens up....

Matt
I have the 18" Rikon, which I won't attempt to talk you into, but I am very happy with it.
No brake, but I just don't see the need. IMO, small kids should not be in the workshop when a bandsaw, tablesaw or joiner is running... Adults are aware enough not to put their hands near the blade/cutting head until it comes to a stop.
I walk away, and let my BS blade spin down. Not a big deal.

I guess based on your three options, I Would get the big Jet or the Laguna. And I would get that subpanel installed ASAP.. That's where the safety concern should be , IMO.. Plus you will really enjoy being able to put in additional plugs, wall switches for the dust collector, etc.. If money is tight, I would do the subpanel before getting a new BS.
(04-13-2020, 03:46 PM)paul2004 Wrote: I have the 18" Rikon, which I won't attempt to talk you into, but I am very happy with it.
No brake, but I just don't see the need.  IMO, small kids should not be in the workshop when a bandsaw, tablesaw or joiner is running...   Adults are aware enough not to put their hands near the blade/cutting head until it comes to a stop.
I walk away, and let my BS blade spin down. Not a big deal.

I guess based on your three options, I Would get the big Jet or the Laguna.  And I would get that subpanel installed ASAP.. That's where the safety concern should be , IMO..  Plus you will really enjoy being able to put in additional plugs, wall switches for the dust collector, etc..  If money is tight, I would do the subpanel before getting a new BS.

All good points