18" Bandsaw: Do I Need 3hp & Brake?
(04-13-2020, 03:46 PM)paul2004 Wrote: I have the 18" Rikon, which I won't attempt to talk you into, but I am very happy with it.
No brake, but I just don't see the need.  IMO, small kids should not be in the workshop when a bandsaw, tablesaw or joiner is running...   Adults are aware enough not to put their hands near the blade/cutting head until it comes to a stop.
I walk away, and let my BS blade spin down. Not a big deal.

I guess based on your three options, I Would get the big Jet or the Laguna.  And I would get that subpanel installed ASAP.. That's where the safety concern should be , IMO..  Plus you will really enjoy being able to put in additional plugs, wall switches for the dust collector, etc..  If money is tight, I would do the subpanel before getting a new BS.

You know, I'm a big Rikon fan. Their 14" deluxe bandsaw goes circles around the competition and is at an compelling price point. It's interesting how tool companies are able to do a few tools extremely well but it's hard [possibly impossible] for them to have their entire line be at this place without being crazy expensive (hello Festool and Powermatic). Rikon's 18" bandsaw is strong--esp for folks who resaw a lot with that huge 4hp motor--I'm just not their target.
Price has little to do with whether a lineup is good in its entirety.   Festool and Powermatic make some dogs too. Especially Festool.

I wouldn't put too much stock in your superior dust port arrangement.  Laguna only recently moved their guide ports to the back on their Asian saws.  The Italian saws (the ones they made their reputation on) still have side ports.  Or no upper ports at all.  Same with MiniMax's Italian saws. 

No lower guide dust ports is certainly going to be noticeable.  I am confident most people won't be able to tell a difference in collection between a guide port oriented on the side or back.  Especially without some sort of measurements. 

Guide bearings are easily changed out on all of these saws.  At a cost though.  You can even get ceramic inserts for the current guides on many if that's your cup of tea.  Grizzly's lower price affords you the ability to get diff. guides, and still come out ahead if you're a good shopper.

I'm a big fan of the brakes, though I don't use it every time.   It's nice to have it when I need or want it though.  I wouldn't rule out a saw without one, but it would sway my decision.
All I can say is after going through all such analysis, I went with the Griz 19", 3hp G0514X with the brake, and am very happy.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-07-2020, 11:39 AM)Admiral Wrote: All I can say is after going through all such analysis, I went with the Griz 19", 3hp G0514X with the brake, and am very happy.

Just to keep y'all entertained, I've still searching. 

I've come a long way (and added a sub-panel so the electrical is no longer an issue). 

Current list includes:
1) new Jet 20" (fits well between my 14" and panel saw). 
2) new Jet 18" 3HP (more affordable)
3) new Laguna 18BX (still like the brake)
4) new 19" Shop Fox 1825 (but there's a lot of distance between this and the Laguna)
5) Used 18-20" Laguna HD or similar Italian BS.
(06-08-2020, 07:24 PM)Murray M Wrote: Just to keep y'all entertained, I've still searching. 

Current list includes:

5) Used 18-20" Laguna HD or similar Italian BS.

Good luck finding one in that price range.  

It's certainly possible, but not something you should count on.   And you'd better be ready to pull the trigger the second you see one, cause it won't last.
(06-08-2020, 10:05 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Good luck finding one in that price range.  

It's certainly possible, but not something you should count on.   And you'd better be ready to pull the trigger the second you see one, cause it won't last.

I hear that. 

I just missed one by just a little. I know it's a possibility but you're right about being hard. I'm expecting to have to buy new (also each of the new ones have noticeably improved DC--bandsaws have come a long way on this in the last 4 years).
It sounds like the subpanel was a very good idea, so it's nice that's done.

I don't think you'll go wrong with your choices, but thought Matthias Wandel's experiments with guides help to explain the "old fashioned" sideways orientation of thrust bearings in some saws: https://woodgears.ca/bandmill/guides.html

No, this is not a suggestion that you make your own bandsaw.
(04-13-2020, 03:46 PM)paul2004 Wrote: I have the 18" Rikon, which I won't attempt to talk you into, but I am very happy with it.
No brake, but I just don't see the need.  IMO, small kids should not be in the workshop when a bandsaw, tablesaw or joiner is running...   Adults are aware enough not to put their hands near the blade/cutting head until it comes to a stop.
I walk away, and let my BS blade spin down. Not a big deal.

I guess based on your three options, I Would get the big Jet or the Laguna.  And I would get that subpanel installed ASAP.. That's where the safety concern should be , IMO..  Plus you will really enjoy being able to put in additional plugs, wall switches for the dust collector, etc..  If money is tight, I would do the subpanel before getting a new BS.

Oh my.
Somehow the Rikon 347 wasn't on my radar. 18" with a brake. And lots of fun stuff like a deactivation switch when detensioned.
(06-15-2020, 08:11 PM)Murray M Wrote: Oh my.
Somehow the Rikon 347 wasn't on my radar. 18" with a brake. And lots of fun stuff like a deactivation switch when detensioned.

I have a Rikon 10-325. It had a motor problem out of the box. I expected them to send me a new start capacitor. They sent me a whole new motor. Their customer service was exemplary. Don't know much about their current product lineup.
Update

After considering everything y'all said, I've come to the conclusion that I do need 3HP  and a brake. 

Here's my complete notes and what I got.
After working with my new saw for several weeks--I could use more power than the 4HP I chose and use the brake almost every time and am SUPER glad to have it.