Recommendations on countersink drill bit set?
(04-13-2020, 10:24 AM)Scott W Wrote: Any suggestions on a decent set for woodworking? I know some use them for metal work but that's not my direction right now.

Thanks.

I have 5 different sizes for counter sinking metal for rivits and such but they do not fit wood screw heads to well

So I finally got the  Insty-Drive ones of which they have two packages.  If I remember one pack is 3 or 4 and the other is 5 or 7 in the pack.

I got the smaller once since I do not use a lot of sizes of screws.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-13-2020, 06:19 PM)mike4244 Wrote: I bought a set of Fuller spiral tapered countersink bits years ago. I used them often as I was a carpenter and cabinet maker.
They are very good quality, a bit pricey compared to others that have straight bits, not tapered spiral bits like Fuller. I still use them but only once in awhile since I retired. I recommend them , have not used the others mentioned except for Snappy. My employer bought Snappy because they were inexpensive, he went back to Fuller about a year later. I do not think Snappy offers taper bits, that is what we needed generally.
mike

That is a great idea and I will have to find some for the future funds and give the others away although they are nice but the tapered part just fits so good.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
i find the snappy one are well named the last set of them had the worst china quality drill bits available to man kind
the tool says made in USA the drill bits are china and just garbage
they will snap off drilling in soft pine using a drill press if you hit a knot and are twice that bad using a hand held drill
at one time i liked the snappy ones a lot not now
i like the ones from Erwin tool they are the tapered kind and at least were made in USA [ still are ? ]
lee valley has/had great ones also
Thanks for all the feedback...I purchased LV 5 piece set. 

Thanks
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11