Bosch Glide, and kapex Users
(04-14-2020, 12:50 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: I am interested in this as well, so I will be paying some attention.  I have a Milwaukee 12" slider which has served my purposes well, but I'd like to build a fixed miter station on my countertop, and it's footprint requires it to be further forward than I'd like in that setting.  I had eyed the Kapex just because I am familiar with it, and the sliding mechanism is oriented forward rather than backward.  My number-one hesitation has actually been durability over the price, as I have read about a fair amount of motor burn-out.  But the size factor is very appealing to me.

Festool redesigned the kapex motor on the current 575306 model.  
The prior model 561287 had motors that reportedly failed.
My .02
Karl

I recently adapted my station for the Glide. i use a Kreg fence setup. The sliding fence on the Glide does not make the Kreg fence work for compound miters. The hitachi fence pivoted up and was not an issue. Love the glide but need to figure out my Kreg track setup more. Maybe ill just use the dewalt for compound miters.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(04-14-2020, 09:46 PM)measure once cut remeasure Wrote: [Image: 14107-A.jpg]
Laziness is the main reason that I currently have and would like to upgrade to a new SCMS. 
I have a radial arm saw, and really like the convenience of keeping a stacked dado set on it. 
I have rarely used either the 12" or 14" Onsrud blades that I have for it
I think the saw is a delta model 40c.  The motor badge says delta multiplex 2hp 10/20 amp. The serial # badge says Rockwell, and the blade guard says delta Milwaukee.
The saw came from a buddies barn where it was buried under piles of junk. He had bought it from a university auction for almost nothing.

Well, for a few hundred dollars you can find another old RAS and put a regular blade on it.  That's why some folks have two table saws.  Don't get me wrong; I have nothing against a SCMS.  But you can get a lot more machine for your money with one of those old Dewalts or Deltas.  

John
(04-15-2020, 02:22 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Well, for a few hundred dollars you can find another old RAS and put a regular blade on it.  That's why some folks have two table saws.  Don't get me wrong; I have nothing against a SCMS.  But you can get a lot more machine for your money with one of those old Dewalts or Deltas.  

John

Empty shop space is nonexistent.  The Delta RAS is shoehorned in next to the stairway.  I have a roller mounted on a custom stand that sits on the step of one of the stairs, if I need support right of the RAS table.  A regular tripod roller stand is used left of the RAS

I could double up on tablesaws more easily by taking out the 4' x 6' outfeed table.  Only duplicate semi stationary tools are bandsaws, and one of those is only a little delta homecraft 10" 

One wall has a miter station built into cabinets containing drawers.  Can't afford to loose drawer space.
My .02
Karl

(04-15-2020, 05:11 PM)measure once cut remeasure Wrote: Empty shop space is nonexistent.  The Delta RAS is shoehorned in next to the stairway.  I have a roller mounted on a custom stand that sits on the step of one of the stairs, if I need support right of the RAS table.  A regular tripod roller stand is used left of the RAS

I could double up on tablesaws more easily by taking out the 4' x 6' outfeed table.  Only duplicate semi stationary tools are bandsaws, and one of those is only a little delta homecraft 10" 

One wall has a miter station built into cabinets containing drawers.  Can't afford to loose drawer space.

I have my RAS built into a set of cabinets, no loss in drawer space.  

[Image: bq9icFq_odO1NkPk3WaCsJYN7I2ajNOyIOpK6cAZ...35-h626-no]

If you get a little creative a RAS takes up no more space than a miter saw.  No, it's not portable, but that wasn't one of your requirements.  And you need the same space left/right with either option, so that's a non factor in the decision.  

John
A few years ago I must have lost my mind because I purchased the Kapex. I found it to be a highly over rated overpriced saw. The laser on that saw and the Makita that I bought after I sold the Kapex was pretty much useless unless you are inside and in a somewhat dim room. They are hard to see. I have used many Dewalt compound miter saws that use a LED light, that is the way to go, a shadow line. No chance of the laser line getting knocked out of cal. I just ordered a Bosch Glide saw and will install a LED light (There is a YOUTUBE video on a guy modifying it to fit the saw) and it looks like the way to go.  However I still have a RAS in the shop. I have owned a few of those, and as soon as I got rid of them, I wish I kept it and ended up getting another one.
(04-14-2020, 07:05 PM)Maple Leaf Wrote: Look into the new Makitas. 10" blade version cuts 12" wide; 12" blade also available. Best dust collection; excellent accuracy; 45º bevels either direction; 45º miter either direction. It's the bomb.

Yep. 
That's what I'm thinking about doing. 
Why aren't more people talking about them?

I just can't do the Bosch. It just feels cheap and plastic-y. 
I MIGHT be able to justify the price of the Kapex but that weird handle with the awkward safety button just kills it for me.
Kapex is German for CAPEX or Capital Expense. It might be good at dust collection but for cutting a perfectly good board in two it sure is a lot of money. The DeWalt Flex looks good to me. For the real precise work you can’t beat a plane and shooting board.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
The same can be said of German cars like BMW, Porche, etc. Prestige costs money...every Kapex owner knows it whether or not in daily use, they turn on their Dewalt instead.
Laugh

Simon
I just purchased a Bosch to replace both a chop saw and RAS.  I wanted one machine to do it all.

I am very happy with it.  Power is great. 

My knocks are 1) hold down clamp needs some redesigning and 2) for $600 it should come with a laser.

I much prefer the handle on the Bosch than the Kapex.

For less than 1/2 the price of a Kapex, its a no brainer!