Need help calculating proper miter angle
While under quarantine during the pandemic, I’d like to take some time to build wayside chapel pillar in the style of those in my parents’ Lithuanian homeland as a sort of a memorial to the event. I’ve attached some sample pictures to give you an idea of what I am talking about. I could use some advice on one part of the project—that is determining the proper angle to use to miter the roof panels. As you can see from the attached pictures what I am trying to do is construct a hip roof with 4 equal sides that come together like a pyramid—just unsure how to calculate the angles of the miters to make this happen. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Attached Files Image(s)

First, welcome to the forum; it's a great place to hang out.

The one in the fore ground looks to have a round roof with a very low pitch.  I am poor at calculating angles.  I would have to take some scrap and play with it until I got what I was looking for.

For a square roof, I'd start by cutting 4 pieces at 45 degrees with a 15 degree bevel.

Good luck.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
There's a bunch of on-line compound miter calculators. Here's one: link

Some will let you print out a template.
Not certain why the forum software doesn't respect the EXIF settings in the photo to turn it vertical.

chris
(04-17-2020, 11:21 AM)doobes Wrote: Not certain why the forum software doesn't respect the EXIF settings in the photo to turn it vertical.
Most forum software doesn't get cell phone picture rotation correct IME. I have a Firefox add-on for a quick & easy fix. Called rotate and zoom, I think.