Grizzly G0889Z 13" 2 HP Benchtop Planer with Spiral Cutterhead
Hi guys,

Does anyone own this model planer from Grizzly? Grizzly G0889Z 13" 2 HP Benchtop Planer with Spiral Cutterhead. I have just a garage shop and I already have 1 wall filled with equipment. I use our community shop which is huge for a jointer and planer but with it being closed due to the virus I'm going crazy. 

I was looking at the Dewalt DW735X 13” but it does not come with a spiral head. In my old shop my jointer and planer had Shelix heads and the difference in cut and noise was dramatic.

Having a planer in my home will save me time driving over to the shop for small projects etc. The Grizzly unit looks a little cheap like the old 12” delta planers.

Any experience would be great.

Thanks

Mike
I have no experience with Grizzly.  I do have the DW735 with the spiral head at an investment of $900 so the Grizzly price is good.  If it is truly 2HP that is a great price.

I think I remember a discussion here a long time ago about 2HP motors.  IIRC you can not get 2hp out of 110 wall plug.  So I'm curious about my memory or how they can rate it 2HP.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(04-19-2020, 12:34 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I have no experience with Grizzly.  I do have the DW735 with the spiral head at an investment of $900 so the Grizzly price is good.  If it is truly 2HP that is a great price.

I think I remember a discussion here a long time ago about 2HP motors.  IIRC you can not get 2hp out of 110 wall plug.  So I'm curious about my memory or how they can rate it 2HP.

Bill, you are correct. A true 2HP needs 20 -24 amps to run properly. The best you are going to get from 110 is 20. I believe they use the term "develops 2HP". Marketing terms. I have the Grizzly 2hp hybrid table saw on a 20 amp 110 circuit and it runs fine. 

I want my old shop back.... but I think the people that bought my house would have a objection. 

Do you like the Dewalt unit? How difficult was it to put the Shelix head in?
Doing the DeWalt conversion was definitely a great decision!!!!!!!  It is on a flip cabinet that stores under the outfeed table.  My shop is tight.   I had just about worn out the first 735 so I started looking on Craig's List and actually found a new one still in the box for $500.  I'm old and thick headed so I was not looking forward to the install of the spiral head.  The instructions could not have been better!  I would happily do it again.
(04-20-2020, 05:04 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Doing the DeWalt conversion was definitely a great decision!!!!!!!  It is on a flip cabinet that stores under the outfeed table.  My shop is tight.   I had just about worn out the first 735 so I started looking on Craig's List and actually found a new one still in the box for $500.  I'm old and thick headed so I was not looking forward to the install of the spiral head.  The instructions could not have been better!  I would happily do it again.

I'm old and a Italian with a thick head too! How about I but both, ship it to you so you can install the new cutter head  and I can take the 12 hour drive from SC to pick it up. This way I get some great barbeque. 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Now that sounds like fun!!!!!!!!!
I would of bought the grizzly just before last christmas. It was out of stock an they didn't know when the next batch would arrive. On the grizzly site it gets good reviews and I have had good luck with grizzly machines. I bought the dewalt 735 instead and planed to but a new cutter head in later. The first dewalt arrived with the cast bottom broke. It looked to have been broken when packed because the box was in good shape. I got a replacement no problem but the darn thing snipes so much it is worse then my old delta 22-540? That had no cutter head lock. I wish I had waited for the grizzly to get in but had orders to fill bad time for the delta to explode a drive pully that you can't buy. Anyway after all this rambling and knowing how the much folks here like the dewalt735 I sure wouldn't waste money on another one. I darn sure am not a fan. Anyone know how to stop 3-3.5 inches of snipe on this pos?