folding dining table
i want to build this stile table for my son anyone have any clue as to how the center pull out leg would be fastened and what kind of hardware it might have
i believe the top could be just ran in a slot of sorts sort of just just two cross pieces centered and 90* to the apron that trapped the top of the center leg
but how to keep the leg in place while extended baffle's me
sorry if i do not have the web page clickable but the
table is here i found it buy goggling counter height table
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/an...ning-table
w002731009.html#j8jurhjjxbs-6
The center leg slides out through notches in the apron and the stretcher. It stays in position through friction between the feet and the floor and the top of the leg and the leaf.

It would be easy enough to create a plan of a table like that if it was needed.

About 20 minutes and there's a 3D model of it.
[Image: 49801689881_53a5184158_z.jpg]
The proper name for this type of table is "gate leg table".  It is a simple build and you can find plans for this online.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gate+leg...66&bih=654

A centering dowel jig is all you really need in regards to special equipment.  From Harbor Freight it is just $15.00.  But you will speed up your assembly greatly by buying two.  The bushings are interchangeable.  If you buy two, you can put two 3/8" bushings in one jig and drill both with one setup.  It will double your speed and improve accuracy as the distance between holes will always be the same.

https://www.harborfreight.com/self-cente...41345.html

[Image: image_18160.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I wouldn't classify this one as a gate leg table. Normally a gate leg table as a leg that swings like a gate out under the leaf.

This is a traditional gate leg table arrangement.
[Image: 49801945268_0bf08cbea2_w.jpg]
Thanks guys
I have previously made a gate leg and I have thought about modifying that table that way but I would rather not
The table looks easy to build exept for the life of me I do not know how to keep the sliding legs in place after they are in the extension mode
I am thinking possibly a pin in the leg top following a tee track in the top
Seems to complicated for every day use
And I wonder if the lower stretcher will be sturdy enough after the deep grove is cut in it apron also is appears groved
I am not short of tools so that is not a limitation I can easily do mortice and tendons or dowels ETC
The part that gets me is how to stop the leg from accidentally moving back and having the leaf drop
And I am concerned that sliding leg might be a weak link
How do I stop it from moving sideways. .?
(04-21-2020, 12:57 PM)oakey Wrote: I do not know how to keep the sliding legs in place  after they are in the extension mode...

How do I stop it from moving sideways. .?

You could glue a thin piece of wood with a notch in it to the underside of the top and maybe add a peg to the top of the leg or even a screw or bolt to fit into the notch. Something like this.

[Image: 49802586171_b070d12e40_w.jpg]

As for the notch in the stretcher, I doubt you'have to worry about it since that long stretcher will be supported by the strongest part of the short one.
Dave I like that idea thanks and thanks for the. Sketchup offer also
other than slightly longer I am just making a some what like exact copy
there is some decent pictures of it that I can use
(04-21-2020, 01:10 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: You could glue a thin piece of wood with a notch in it to the underside of the top and maybe add a peg to the top of the leg or even a screw or bolt to fit into the notch. Something like this.

[Image: 49802586171_b070d12e40_w.jpg]

As for the notch in the stretcher, I doubt you'have to worry about it since that long stretcher will be supported by the strongest part of the short one.

If you make the thin piece of wood a bit larger, you could make it a square-U and have the top of the leg slide into it.

You could then embed a pair of magnets in the underside of the top and the top of the leg (or a cup magnet in one and a metal washer in the other). LV sells some nice magnet sets.

Also, the top stretcher on the slide out leg does not have to be vertical. Putting it horizontal would reduce the impact on the long top stretcher on the table.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.