Won't do this again..
2 weeks ago I order a combo sander, a PM 31A. With the 15% off sale going on and free shipping, I figured it was as good as I'd ever do. Most places had free shipping on it, and a few didn't even charge sales tax. I passed on those, there were none I had dealt with previously so I tried Home Depot. Yep, they had at the same price as anyone, and with free shipping. There isn't an HD store terribly close (35 miles or so) but I figured if I had a problem I'd just take it back. It arrived today, B/L said 1 pallet of machine parts. No damage to the (1) box, so I got it in the shop and started looking things over. The box only had the stand and motor, then I looked at the B/ supposed to be 2 cartons. DOH! So now I'm trying to find the other 1/2 of my sander. Called the trucking company, they've instituted a "dock search". Tried to call HD, waited on hold 1 hour and gave up. Tried to text, got a reply that call volume was high and the reply may be delayed. Crap! Next time I'm sticking with companies I know.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Sorry this happened.. you are probably going to have to drive to home depot and tell them in person.
It could be that the guy pulling your order did not realize it was two boxes.
With the virus stuff going on, they are probably short handed and that's why the phone call does not work.

I've actually had great luck ordering things from home depot and doing a store pickup.
I know this incident sucks, but I don't think this warrants a post which implies people should never order from home depot.
Mistakes get made.
(04-21-2020, 12:59 PM)paul2004 Wrote: I know this incident sucks, but I don't think this warrants a post which implies people should never order from home depot.
Mistakes get made.

I don't think I implied people shouldn't order from HD. You're right, mistakes get made....and i have no doubt I'll get this straightened out. But I bought something from HD they don't normally deal with (large stationary tools, particularly sanders) and I'm chasing my tail over it. Another mistake I made was to not look at the B/L closely and see there should have been 2 cartons. So, like I said, I order from places that have dealt with such things a lot more than HD.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have had issues with HD and dealt with it with email.  Really easy.  Of course they have 24 hours to answer but they did a good job correcting everything.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Once you do get it, you'll love it.  Got one about 4 months ago.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(04-21-2020, 01:13 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I don't think I implied people shouldn't order from HD. You're right, mistakes get made....and i have no doubt I'll get this straightened out. But I bought something from HD they don't normally deal with (large stationary tools, particularly sanders) and I'm chasing my tail over it. Another mistake I made was to not look at the B/L closely and see there should have been 2 cartons. So, like I said, I order from places that have dealt with such things a lot more than HD.

I'll go further than imply it... I'll say it outright.  I don't know that I've ever ordered anything from HD that didn't have a problem with some part of the order.  And I gave them three or four chances.  Lowes only going forward, which is 2 for 2 over the years.
Dang,I have having problems with their online orders. I order one set of Knipex snap ring pliers and I also order one individual snap ring pliers. They sent an email saying that partial order is in that I can come pick it up. The mail said that its the individual pliers,so I go down there at 6am cause I didn't want to stand in line for hr waiting to get in store to pick up my order. Well lady hands it to me I open box and what came in is the 4 piece set and not the individual one. Which is what is on the receipt, so I go back home and check again online my order and now its telling me that my whole order has been pick up delivered.So went back on line check again today and both items saying delivered,dang it. All I wanted was to save 10.00 but it is not worth this hassle.My plan was to call them but reading post its a waste of time,so I guess I print all the emails,bring my receipt stand in line to try prove that I don't have all of my order. Like you are saying,I won't do this again.Good luck to us both
By the way if HD sells something then they need to own up to it. I remember they use to stationary tools,when they first started selling Ridgid
(04-21-2020, 04:28 PM)KC Wrote: I'll go further than imply it... I'll say it outright.  I don't know that I've ever ordered anything from HD that didn't have a problem with some part of the order.  And I gave them three or four chances.  Lowes only going forward, which is 2 for 2 over the years.

Same experience here on pickups from my local store; everything required a minimum of two trips.  I think its a training issue for them - moving from straight retail to e-commerce is not easy.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'll repeat what I said above...there's no doubt in my mind that HD will rectify this. But in the meantime, I got through on the phone only to find that my only options were pre recorded messages. I had sent a text yesterday and the responded to it, but I've got to tell you: texting is very hard for me. Typing messages on a phone just isn't easy. I also sent an e mail this morning asking for help. Pending the outcome within a day or 2, if I haven't talked to a live person I'll return what I got to the store and reorder. I have until the 30th to square this away, that's when the PM sale ends....and I won't buy a regular price. It is interesting to see the other experiences with on line from them, I've done it myself a couple of times in the past with smaller items and never had any problems.
(04-21-2020, 11:27 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Crap! Next time I'm sticking with companies I know.

Especially during this trying time!

Probably as someone suggested, the guy who pulled your order might have missed the second box. I was booking my car for a service and it took more than a day to get a rely. Normally I hear back on the same day after a couple of hours. With reduced hours and staff, patience is what we need. You probably might have to make a trip if you needed a quicker response this time. Who knows how many people are in front of you waiting for a response from HD.

Yes, you did not suggest people not shop at HD in the future. Glad you shared your story. It reminds me that I should hold off my big ticket purchases until things return to more normal.

Simon