A new saw til?
(04-29-2020, 07:41 PM)Tony Z Wrote: PA?  If so, where are you and what are you looking for?

I'm in lower Bucks County, about 40 minutes north of Center City.

Honestly, I don't know enough about miter boxes to choose one yet.  There aren't too many around, to hold & play with.  From what I've read/seen here and in a few other sites, probably a Stanley 3xx/4xx, but am open.  Definitely a user, and I don't mind doing clean-up.

I could drop you a PM if you'd like to chat, Tony--don't want to be hijacking Bandit's thread!
Mitre saws?

Stanley No. 358 was put to use today...

And...rather than move the saw between settings...

I just used a different box....#2 is a Langdon No. 75....#3 is a Stanley #346....
Joint is called a Mitered Half Lap...
Winkgrin 

Be back in a moment. with the full story of today's follies...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-30-2020, 02:31 PM)grwold Wrote: I'm in lower Bucks County, about 40 minutes north of Center City.

Honestly, I don't know enough about miter boxes to choose one yet.  There aren't too many around, to hold & play with.  From what I've read/seen here and in a few other sites, probably a Stanley 3xx/4xx, but am open.  Definitely a user, and I don't mind doing clean-up.

I could drop you a PM if you'd like to chat, Tony--don't want to be hijacking Bandit's thread!

No need to chat, and Bandit would probably enjoy miter box questions in this thread!

If you're ever coming across I-80, DuBois is exit 101, shoot me a PM, and I'll fix you up with your choice of miter box. Things are too troublesome to package and ship, though. I would suggest you take a Saturday or Sunday trip to Shupps'Grove in Reinhold, PA (many other similar flea markets, near there in Adamstown, PA).

For an easy to adjust & use miter box, that will take virtually any saw, look for an old Stanley 150, just make sure it has the flat spring in the saw guide.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
The #150's flat spring can be replaced, use a strip of metal banding. 
Cool The only mitre box I didn't use yesterday, was #3.   

First off, yesterday, I cut a second wedge for the door sides...then ran a Stanley #6 along the sawn edges..
Rolleyes

Clamped both together, so they will match each other.  Then crosscut, and rip 2 stiles and 2 rails, at 1-3/4" width...Then set up the Stanley 45 with a #14 cutter..

Width of cutter was a match to the plywood.   Plane is just the tool to find hidden knots, too..
Angry 

Both stiles and rails get the groove, even had a scrap of plywood to check it out...
Rolleyes

Grooves done, how to connect the corners?   Something that looks like a mitre joint.
Confused

Yet be easy to glue up?
Confused  

First corner had "issues"..
No .had to go back and re-align the lines...Cuts at the "new" lines work great..
Cool ..used that to set up the other 3 corners...and got all the parts milled up...
Cool

Plywood scrap to help alignments.   Had a dry fit to do, to mark out the size of the plywood panel for the door...then fought the clamps to get 5 parts glued up
Upset  

Had one F style clamp the refused to stay put, after the 3rd time...when it fell out, it landed on the floor..
Upset ..was replaced by that pipe clamp. 
Winkgrin
Framing square to check that this thing IS square....and then called it a day. 
Cool

So...I might have earned one of these, maybe?
Winkgrin

Or 2?
Rolleyes
Stay tuned...clamps have come off, working on how to attach the wedges and top and bottom fillers...
Winkgrin
(05-01-2020, 08:58 AM)Tony Z Wrote: No need to chat, and Bandit would probably enjoy miter box questions in this thread!

If you're ever coming across I-80, DuBois is exit 101, shoot me a PM, and I'll fix you up with your choice of miter box.  Things are too troublesome to package and ship, though.  I would suggest you take a Saturday or Sunday trip to Shupps'Grove in Reinhold, PA (many other similar flea markets, near there in Adamstown, PA).  

For an easy to adjust & use miter box, that will take virtually any saw, look for an old Stanley 150, just make sure it has the flat spring in the saw guide.

I just got the trailer inspected this morning, will be making the first camping trip of the year next weekend.  I've been meaning to head to central & western PA for a while now, will keep you in mind when I do!

Campgrounds were open this weekend too--every other site, common areas like bathhouses are still closed.  Glad I have a trailer--we're fully self-contained, unlike when we used to be in tents.
Used the #358 Parts trimmer to cut 2 parts to length...to fit between the wedge shaped sides....
Cool

Then a lot of glue, and a forest of clamps...
Rolleyes  

Hinge side, remember..the wide end is the top of the door..

Bottom of the door...narrow enough for spring clamps...

Latch side...top was glue using a bunch of F style clamps....both to the door and to the sides.

Wonder what made these...
Confused

Stanley # 12-004c Made in England....top board needed beveled to match the side wedges.  Same plane that Paul Sellers likes to use...

Have 4 saws to hang on the inside of the door....the 2 backsaws we've already seen...the panel saws? 
Confused

Atkins 24" long, 8ppi skew back.   The other?

Made by Atkins, sold as Sheffield.   6ppi rip, straight back.

When the clamps come off later,  I'll try to figure out the hangers for these four saws.
Rolleyes

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Not much got done in the shop, today.   Hardware was bought,,
Winkgrin

Clamps removed.  Dry fit.   Needed a couple shims round back, too much lean-back on the case...try again...
Rolleyes

Close, can always add another thin shim.
Rolleyes

Need a lot of work done to the door, before the Witch's Brew gets applied....
Stay tuned...
Winkgrin

In response to some complaints about a tilted box...
Rolleyes  "No more tilts..." to paraphrase Ozzy' s  "no more tears"
No 

However....

True?
Confused
Looks good. Seems like it might have been easier to start with a deeper case or just go with what you wanted from the beginning.

I wish the dad’s tools dad’s rules thing was true. My wife rolls her eyes when I suggest people using tools should return them to their original locations.
Door has it's molding installed,...

Counter-bores have been plugged.  Plugs trimmed flush, everything sanded smooth....then the fun began.
Rolleyes  

Not exactly the easiest thing to do....piano hinge.   Latch wasn't much better....handle was the easy part...
Winkgrin

Then hang 3 saws on the inside of the door?
Confused   

Used a metal keeper to keep the handle on the insert..
Cool

To release the saw...
Cool

Just rotate up out of the way.  

May try a coat of the Witch's Brew tomorrow...then hang the Frame saw on the outside of the door..
Stay tuned
Winkgrin