Secrets to making end grain look good?
It's too late on the project I'm finishing, but who has had good experiences with techniques to make end grain look good?

This project I'm wrapping up has exposed end grain and you know how it's tough to get sanded smooth and have it take the film finish evenly and look like flat grain.

Do you sand to higher grits in these areas?  Apply 19 coats of shellac/varnish, sanding lightly between coats?
(04-22-2020, 09:44 AM)Rich_Dixon Wrote: It's too late on the project I'm finishing, but who has had good experiences with techniques to make end grain look good?

This project I'm wrapping up has exposed end grain and you know how it's tough to get sanded smooth and have it take the film finish evenly and look like flat grain.

Do you sand to higher grits in these areas?  Apply 19 coats of shellac/varnish, sanding lightly between coats?

Sand to 600 grit.
I may have replied to this over on Knots.  Just in case . . .

I do a lot of Greene and Greene so I deal with a lot of purposely exposed end grain. I sand these to a higher grit to control the color/absorption of the finish. You could experiment on some scrap. For a 220 grit sanded face grain I would sand the end grain to 600 or higher depending on the material.

This allows you to get an even color tone without using a lot of colorants.  Too often heavy coloration can hide the depth of the material.  I have experimented with wash coats with some success.  Finer grit abrasives (to the point of polishing/burnishing for things like ebony and other hard exotics) is what I have the most success with.

BTW, two to four coats would be my max for shellac.  Shellac does not build a think film like poly or lacquer.  A few thin, thin coats are the secret to success with shellac for me.  If you need a thinker film top coat, I would use something instead of or on top of shellac.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

Depending upon the situation you can add a mitered end cap.

[Image: hb095QA01-02_lg.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Well I wish I would have asked this a month ago.

Thanks!

My finishing for the project I'm working on is a couple of light spray coats of shellac and 5-6 coats of wiping on 50/50 Arm-R-Seal and mineral spirits.
(04-22-2020, 10:11 AM)GeeDub Wrote: I may have replied to this over on Knots.  Just in case . . .

I do a lot of Greene and Greene so I deal with a lot of purposely exposed end grain. I sand these to a higher grit to control the color/absorption of the finish. You could experiment on some scrap. For a 220 grit sanded face grain I would sand the end grain to 600 or higher depending on the material.

BTW, two to four coats would be my max for shellac.  Shellac does not build a think film like poly or lacquer.  A few thin, thin coats are the secret to success with shellac for me.  If you need a thinker film top coat, I would use something instead of or on top of shellac.

Beautiful work.  Anybody who thinks a finish straight off the plane beats all needs to take a hard look at your photos. The consistency of the finish and tone, the finish uptake, wow it's a tour de force. Envious.
Have never thought to sand end grain to higher grits in 20+ years, but having now seen the end results, you can guess what I will be doing on my future projects with exposed end-grain. Thanks GeeDub!
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(04-22-2020, 09:44 AM)Rich_Dixon Wrote: It's too late on the project I'm finishing, but who has had good experiences with techniques to make end grain look good?

Hand planing with a low angle plane and a sharp blade works every time. Blows sandpaper out of the water, in my opinion.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
At least 3 grit sizes finer and not much stain on the rag.Your rag should be almost dry. You can go back over it to darken the shade to match. The end grain will suck up stain like a straw which it is so don't give it any thing to suck up.

Tom