Stain or outdoor paint to protect plywood
I'm going to replace the plywood sides on my landscape trailer. I bought the trailer with the current plywood sides and it appears to be a type of stain which shows the wood grain and actually looks good.

I thought about outdoor paint but this would simply cover all the grain but likely a better alternative.

I will also run a length of 1/2" wide aluminum to cover the exposed edge of the plywood to help keep water off the edges.

For the most part of weatherproofing, would a deck stain and sealer work about as good as outdoor paint? I understand this won't last 20 years but even 5 or 6 years is fine with reapplying.

With regards to plywood, what actually is the preferred method to keep it protected from weather other than keeping it dry.

I know I'm overthinking this but looking for the ideal stain/paint to protect the wood.....still about $100 worth of wood.

Thanks.
My choice would be paint.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You could use pressure treated plywood for longer life.  Paint will last longer than stain.
(04-23-2020, 11:21 AM)fredhargis Wrote: My choice would be paint.

So would mine, and I practice what I preach, always painted the extension sides on my pickup that I use when getting mulch, etc.  Especially when you are using plywood.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Ok thanks. I was looking for a dark, redwood type color that wouldn't hide the grain too much. If I go with paint I might include black ad an option.
Think about using untinted deep base paint. It will dry clear and have all the UV protection of regular paint. Best of two worlds - clear and paint instead of stain or varnish. Here's a link to a previous discussion here on WoodNet Forum:

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7349271

Note: This probably isn't a well-known way to attack the issue. Read the discussion thoroughly and give it some thought.

Should you choose the untinted paint, I can give you a brand that dries clear (not all of them do, apparently). Besides, the oil base ones are getting harder to find. But I bought a quart of this last week for a home project: Sherwin Williams SWP exterior oil base gloss in their ultra deep base. I'll be using it on a redwoood glider my wife bought some years ago...I just have to clean it up (a lot) before I apply it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.