Free is for me.
I always take a look on letgo, offerup and facebook marketplace for cheap older tools. It seems like most people my age (32, 33 in July) inherit tools from there grandfather or father and just let them go for next to nothing. As a newbie to woodworking and just bought a house I am finally able to get more tools. I saw on the facebook marketplace that someone had tools marked for free. Some looked older like some hand says and bit brace while others were somewhat new maybe early 90's late 80's. I messaged him to see if they were still available and he said they are first come first serve and at the curb. I was about 30 minutes away so I asked if he would hold the saws and the bit brace for me and he said he would. Got in the car and drove down and picked up the saws and bit brace. Yesterday after let them sit in the car for a few days to let any germs or bacteria that could be on them to be gone I took them out and down to my basement shop. After looking at them more one was an E.C Atkins Rip Saw no. 51, medallion is missing so not sure how to date it, one was a Disston tenon saw judging by the medallion it was made between 1917-1940 can't make out a number on the blade I have to clean it up a bit. And a saw that looks like a miter saw that says LU Dell quality tools made in usa etched on the blade. Not sure about that one. The bit brace will have to be cleaned up but could see that it was a miller falls no. 422 brace. I will update with some pictures once I clean them up a bit.

Moral of the post is check out the letgo, offerup and facebook marketplace as you never know what you will get
Congrats on the score.  I found a deal like that a while back.  An airline pilot had had enough of wood working in an apartment and decided to find another hobby.  He passed on all of his hand tools and wood supply (all pine) and a work bench he built but hated (but I like).  

You just have to be in the right place at the right time.
What Stav said.

I am really looking forward to what you make using them. 
Yes
Yes
Yes

Also Welcome.

If you go to handtools they can tell you more about your tools.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Here the saws and bit brace that I picked up.

Attached Files Image(s)

I scout fb matketplace. But OfferUp and Letgo are Worthless around me. People selling stuff that isn’t worthless buying and in areas that would probably get you a souvenir gunshot or packet of meth.
-Marc

(04-23-2020, 01:19 PM)briman87 Wrote: I always take a look on letgo, offerup and facebook marketplace for cheap older tools.  It seems like most people my age (32, 33 in July) inherit tools from there grandfather or father and just let them go for next to nothing.  As a newbie to woodworking and just bought a house I am finally able to get more tools.  I saw on the facebook marketplace that someone had tools marked for free. Some looked older like some hand says and bit brace while others were somewhat new maybe early 90's late 80's. I messaged him to see if they were still available and he said they are first come first serve and at the curb. I was about 30 minutes away so I asked if he would hold the saws and the bit brace for me and he said he would.  Got in the car and drove down and picked up the saws and bit brace.  Yesterday after let them sit in the car for a few days to let any germs or bacteria that could be on them to be gone I took them out and down to my basement shop.  After looking at them more one was an E.C Atkins Rip Saw no. 51, medallion is missing so not sure how to date it, one was a Disston tenon saw judging by the medallion it was made between 1917-1940 can't make out a number on the blade I have to clean it up a bit.  And a saw that looks like a miter saw that says LU Dell quality tools made in usa etched on the blade.  Not sure about that one.  The bit brace will have to be cleaned up but could see that it was a miller falls no. 422 brace.  I will update with some pictures once I clean them up a bit.

Moral of the post is check out the letgo, offerup and facebook marketplace as you never know what you will get

I have picked up more than one Unisaw, PM68, PM70, State Oscillating Sander, Delta HD shaper, and more paying attention works.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-24-2020, 12:10 PM)briman87 Wrote: Here the saws and bit brace that I picked up.

You did real good. All three saws and the brace are quality tools. I also received many high quality tools from a friend of my moms when her husband passed away. I was asked if I knew anyone that would buy the machinery. The lady had been offered ridiculously low bids on quality machinery. I was 25 years old then and did not have the space or the money , I asked guys on the job and within 2 weeks every thing was gone from the shop except hand tools and some lumber. 
I was given the hand tools that were not bought, probably worth $ 4500.00 if they were bought new today. Included 8-1/4" skill saw, 7-1/4" skill saw, Milwaukee drills, 2 block planes, jointer plane and a scrub and 2 smoothing planes. 4 Rabbit planes, 3 were wood hand made for various widths. Much more , to many too list.
Good score.  I came across an Emmert Patternmaker vise last week on Facebook Marketplace being offered for free.  I didn’t message quick enough as I was 2nd in line.....that would have been my best score, even better than my $20 No 1 Stanley.
For some reason no one sells a wood vise around me. I had one that I had posted awhile ago. The owner never wanted to meet up and then messaged me the other day saying he had d sad someone interested in the whole bench. And they were going to pick it up. I guess first come didn’t apply.