Grizzly Dust Collector
After much thought I decided to upgrade my old Woodworkers Choice 1 HP, 2 1/2 duct work system. I decided on the 2 HP Grizzly G0548ZP. I am changing all of the runs to 4 inch PVC. Just about done with that part and need to finish off the blast gates, ground the system and hook up my equipment. The DC unit is suppose to be here Monday. Hopefully it will work as well as I am hoping it will!
Dave

You may have miss typed that model number, but I'm sure it will be a nice DC. Just a word of caution, the fine dust is the hardest to control and IF your DC has bags that are the 2.5 micron ones on several f the grizzly DCs you might wind up upgrading to some that are 1 micron or less (or a canister filter). Congrats on the acquisition. It will be a nice step up from what you have.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Congrats on your new dust collector. You will not regret the upgrade. I think it’s model G0548ZP, which comes with the 1 micron canister filter and clear bottom bag. It’s a nice significantly upgraded new version of my old made in Taiwan 2hp Grizzly dust collector. I improved mine with a canister filter and clear bag to get the performance closer to your model.

I also used 4” duct and have been very pleased in its performance. My 13x18 shop is in a finished basement, so good dust collection is important. This setup has fit my needs. I did combine mine with an Excalibur remote start.

[Image: full]
John
(04-25-2020, 06:01 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You may have miss typed that model number, but I'm sure it will be a nice DC. Just a word of caution, the fine dust is the hardest to control and IF your DC has bags that are the 2.5 micron ones on several f the grizzly DCs you might wind up upgrading to some that are 1 micron or less (or a canister filter). Congrats on the acquisition. It will be a nice step up from what you have.

I did miss type the model number. Changed it to the correct one! This one has the 1 micron canister filter.
Dave

I love my Grizzly G0548Z and it is a solid performer with plenty of power & collection capabilities and the one micron canister filter is definitely a plus over bag style collectors.  I teamed the DC up with a Super Dust Deputy cyclone which captures a vast majority of product and also lessens any concern about inadvertently sucking something into the system that could possibly damage the impeller.

I used the 6" to 4" (3 port) inlet wye to adapt to two parallel 4" PVC pipes in lieu of running a single 6" line, primarily due to the high cost of 6" fittings (I also had the 4" pipe left over from a previous project).  The set-up works great and I can easily run 2-3 blast gates open simultaneously with great collection results which saves a lot of fiddling when going back and forth between various machines.  I have 4" metal blast gates and each tool is connected via 4" flexible dust collection hose.  I didn't ground the system and I haven't had any problems with it.

Another thing I did was remove the switch from the Grizzly and re-located it to the wall at a spot near my tools that is easy to access when needed.  The switch operates a receptacle that I keep the DC plugged into and also saves any concern about misplacing and having to search for the control for a remote switch.  My shop is has a simple lay-out though which makes having a central switch work great but not all shops are the same so it might not be best for all.

I still run a shop vac / Dust Deputy combo for my benchtop and portable power tools as well as my drill press (recently installed) and may at some point plumb these into the main dust collection system. 

Enjoy your new Grizzly!

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-25-2020, 02:32 PM)BattleRidge Wrote: I love my Grizzly G0548Z and it is a solid performer with plenty of power & collection capabilities and the one micron canister filter is definitely a plus over bag style collectors.  I teamed the DC up with a Super Dust Deputy cyclone which captures a vast majority of product and also lessens any concern about inadvertently sucking something into the system that could possibly damage the impeller.

I used the 6" to 4" (3 port) inlet wye to adapt to two parallel 4" PVC pipes in lieu of running a single 6" line, primarily due to the high cost of 6" fittings (I also had the 4" pipe left over from a previous project).  The set-up works great and I can easily run 2-3 blast gates open simultaneously with great collection results which saves a lot of fiddling when going back and forth between various machines.  I have 4" metal blast gates and each tool is connected via 4" flexible dust collection hose.  I didn't ground the system and I haven't had any problems with it.

Another thing I did was remove the switch from the Grizzly and re-located it to the wall at a spot near my tools that is easy to access when needed.  The switch operates a receptacle that I keep the DC plugged into and also saves any concern about misplacing and having to search for the control for a remote switch.  My shop is has a simple lay-out though which makes having a central switch work great but not all shops are the same so it might not be best for all.

I still run a shop vac / Dust Deputy combo for my benchtop and portable power tools as well as my drill press (recently installed) and may at some point plumb these into the main dust collection system. 

Enjoy your new Grizzly!

Thanks for the positive comments. I have a Load Ranger on order to hook up to the dust collector. I am using a dust collection separator from my old system that will have to do for now. I haven't looked into a cyclone yet.
Dave