Jet Mini Lathe 1"x42" Belt Sander
Just finishing up this 1"x42" belt sander attachment for my Jet mini lathe.  I still need to add the table - for now it will just be 90 degrees, I will make it adjustable later.

Over the years I have been tempted to purchase a small belt sander for various projects but really didn't have the shop space.  Since I only turn occasionally I decided to make a lathe powered belt sander.  The nice thing was that I already had all of the parts except for the lathe faceplate ($20), bolts and top knobs.  The knobs are for tensioning and tracking adjustment.  I had a little trouble with belt tracking but got that sorted out by crowning the top skateboard wheel (originally I had only crowned the plywood drive wheel).

[Image: 6bj44fP.jpg]

[Image: qMyZr5E.jpg]

[Image: bZLUW5I.jpg]

[Image: FjC1Gk3.jpg]
That is an inventive looking setup. Was that your own plan?
(04-25-2020, 07:59 PM)stav Wrote: That is an inventive looking setup. Was that your own plan?

Yes, my design.  I looked at several online for ideas.  Here is the Sketchup model and what it will ultimately look like:

[Image: C45H8ga.jpg]
That is too cool!  
Cool

Like you, I want a small belt sander; I have a Jet Mini.  This might be a project for next winter.

How did you crown the skateboard wheel?
(04-26-2020, 05:47 AM)WxMan Wrote: That is too cool!  
Cool

Like you, I want a small belt sander; I have a Jet Mini.  This might be a project for next winter.

How did you crown the skateboard wheel?

Using a hole saw I made a couple of plywood discs larger than the skateboard bearing but smaller than the wheel.  I then used these to clamp the wheel to a bolt that fit the bearing (note skateboard bearing has 8mm ID, 5/16" bolt is same diameter as 8mm bolt).  Chucked the bolt into my drill press and went at it with a sanding block.  It doesn't take much crown.

[Image: HoL6Zu0.jpg]

[Image: BRobX4s.jpg]

[Image: 8LJBSRQ.jpg]
Thanks!  I don't have any skateboard wheels hanging around, but Amazon is ready when I am...
Got the table and dust collection fitting installed today.  Went ahead and spent the time to make the table adjustable (was originally going to do only 90 degrees, adjustable later).  Only thing left is the platen behind the belt and a knob for the table adjustment.

[Image: ZVttLIK.jpg]

[Image: oD30ZLU.jpg]

[Image: Q9sEwdo.jpg]
(04-26-2020, 08:16 AM)Sullivan Wrote: Using a hole saw I made a couple of plywood discs larger than the skateboard bearing but smaller than the wheel.  I then used these to clamp the wheel to a bolt that fit the bearing (note skateboard bearing has 8mm ID, 5/16" bolt is same diameter as 8mm bolt).  Chucked the bolt into my drill press and went at it with a sanding block.  It doesn't take much crown.

[Image: HoL6Zu0.jpg]

[Image: BRobX4s.jpg]

[Image: 8LJBSRQ.jpg]

you have a mini lathe, yet you used a drill press to put a crown on a wheel?  
Raised 

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(05-01-2020, 01:01 PM)FireWood Wrote: you have a mini lathe, yet you used a drill press to put a crown on a wheel?  
Raised 

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Since the skateboard wheel has a hole though the middle with bearings there is no way to use the lathe centers.
(04-25-2020, 07:07 PM)Sullivan Wrote: Just finishing up this 1"x42" belt sander attachment for my Jet mini lathe.  I still need to add the table - for now it will just be 90 degrees, I will make it adjustable later.

Over the years I have been tempted to purchase a small belt sander for various projects but really didn't have the shop space.  Since I only turn occasionally I decided to make a lathe powered belt sander.  The nice thing was that I already had all of the parts except for the lathe faceplate ($20), bolts and top knobs.  The knobs are for tensioning and tracking adjustment.  I had a little trouble with belt tracking but got that sorted out by crowning the top skateboard wheel (originally I had only crowned the plywood drive wheel).

[Image: 6bj44fP.jpg]

[Image: qMyZr5E.jpg]

[Image: bZLUW5I.jpg]

[Image: FjC1Gk3.jpg]
Neat idea!