My story - Why morons shouldn't go into woodworking
My Dad was into woodworking, but not hand tool woodworking. As he aged, and I was getting into hand tools, he offered me his hand plane. He had a relatively new (1990s) No. 4 with plastic handles. He said he couldn't ever get good shavings with it. When he showed me the plane, it didn't take long to figure out that he had installed the blade bevel up. Yep, that'll do it. Now, my Dad was no moron by any stretch of the imagination, but things like this happen to the best of us.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-25-2020, 11:12 PM)dspeer Wrote: What do you think?

Sorry to say that you did everything right despite what others said here EXCEPT one thing: the angle. If you had honed your chipbreaker at a much lower angle, you would have done great.

Dont believe me?

Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin 

Read this for yourself - https://www.finewoodworking.com/2020/03/...op-tearout

So don't laugh at yourself. You were onto something!
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

Simon
If you hadn't posted here nobody would have ever known. I bet everybody here has done things that weren't the way they were supposed to be. It's a learning process, and I've found the more I learn, the more there is to learn. And then I need to relearn because I forgot it.
Thank you for all the well wishing. I am resting comfortably and seem to be recovering. 

This was a 1-piece chip breaker, the 2-piece I wouldn't have grabbed without thinking. This was a chip breaker that wasn't bent at the end like the old stanleys are but part as flat as the blade with, can't describe it any better, extra thickness at the end. I was worried that my sharpening had put it out of whack, but with the blade now also sharpened, it cuts very very well. No catching of shavings between blade and chip breaker at all. 

With my success sharpening and all those comments I feel like a proud member of some secret society now 
Big Grin 

Thank you all !

Dietrich
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo (Sinatra)
(04-26-2020, 06:53 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Sorry to say that you did everything right despite what others said here EXCEPT one thing: the angle. If you had honed your chipbreaker at a much lower angle, you would have done great.

Dont believe me?

Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin 

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

Simon

Super interesting - have watched the video and saved it. Thank you!
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
(04-26-2020, 09:21 AM)mdhills Wrote: How is the clifton chipbreaker shaped?  Is it curved (like old Stanleys) or relatively flat (like Hock and Lie Nielsen)?

On the stropping, I thought the usual technique was not to go back and forth, but just to pull so that the edge trails?
(otherwise very easy to end up gouging your strop)

Matt

Not back and forth, of course, but just pull of course - my mistake!
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Loved your story - great sense of humor. Not making mistakes means you are not trying. Can't get to mastery without them
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(04-26-2020, 06:53 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Sorry to say that you did everything right despite what others said here EXCEPT one thing: the angle. If you had honed your chipbreaker at a much lower angle, you would have done great.

Dont believe me?

Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin 

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

Simon

That would be a much higher angle.  For a traditional bevel down bench plane where the blade is bedded at 45 deg, you want the bevel angle of the chip breaker to be at least 45 deg.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-27-2020, 06:07 PM)AHill Wrote: That would be a much higher angle.  For a traditional bevel down bench plane where the blade is bedded at 45 deg, you want the bevel angle of the chip breaker to be at least 45 deg.

You're right. I was thinking of 60* to 70*, but why I wrote lower was beyond me. Isolation was to blame I guess
Big Grin

Simon