1/4" Router Bit in 1/4" ID Bushing
Can I run a 1/4" upcut spiral router bit in a 5/16" OD 1/4" ID brass bushing?  The bit seems to fit and doesn't bind, but it is close and with sideways pressure on the template I could see some contact taking place.  Would it help to sand the inside of the bushing with a dowel and sandpaper?  I'm surprised I couldn't find this question answered in my searches for it.  

Thanks.
I wouldn't, but you might get away with it. A better choice would be the 3/8" OD with a 9/32" ID. If it's brass it won't hurt the bit, and would get reamed out a little in contact.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I too would jump up a size and adjust my template accordingly. Even a tiny bit of contact gets serious fast at thousands or RPM.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.