Shaker Sideboard: I'm In Fine Woodworking!
Yes those pulls are certainly "très magnifique". I am thinking that I might try green tape next time to sort of push the envelope a little
Wink

Yes the trick to the doors not ending up on the floor is having them held in with shims for the photo op. But at least one of the doors has already ended up on the floor, thankfully in front of my bench where I have some mats to cushion the fall.

Thanks for the kind words!

(09-06-2020, 10:30 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I really like those drawer pulls! The contrasting color and freeform placement add such a .... [insert French word]. 

Actually, I would be one sharp breath from a heart attack if I put loose door fronts into a pocket, like that. Because. I know what would happen, if I did it.

Really nice looking.
Looks great!

What kind of hinges do you plan to use?

What kind of knobs?
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Thanks!

I am using Brusso knife hinges: they make top shelf hardware and its perfect for this application.

I am also using something that you don't see everyday unless you play in a string quartet: viola tuning pegs. These have become my signature pulls as I have used them on most of my furniture. Great contrast between the ebony of the pull and the cherry. The shape is not only absolutely unique for a pull, but its functional as well. I will provide some closeups when the I do the final set of pictures: the glamor shots.  

Here is what they look like: from my last project:

(09-09-2020, 07:38 PM)Martin S. Wrote: Looks great!

What kind of hinges do you plan to use?

What kind of knobs?
(09-09-2020, 09:36 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I am also using something that you don't see everyday unless you play in a string quartet: viola tuning pegs. These have become my signature pulls as I have used them on most of my furniture. Great contrast between the ebony of the pull and the cherry. The shape is not only absolutely unique for a pull, but its functional as well. I will provide some closeups when the I do the final set of pictures: the glamor shots.  

What a great idea! Thanks.

Your sideboard is looking really good, Philip. Can't wait to see it finished and in place.
Thanks for posting your build.

Hank
When Disaster Strikes: the project is winding down now, and all that is left is some routine tasks that can be done with little trepidation. When using floating panels in doors, I like to put a single pin at the top of the panel in the middle to help center the panel and to resist the forces of gravity. Its just a 1/8" birch dowel inserted from the back. When drilling the hole for this pin, disaster struck. I was obviously not paying attention and the drill was angled in toward the panel: yes I drilled clear through the other side of the rail and panel.

OK,  so now what? After the appropriate amount of cursing, my son happened to walk into the shop. He looked at the smoking mess and said without hesitation: just put some sort of molding around the perimeter to hide it. Why thats "BRILLIANT" I thought. I cut back the top rail about an 1/8" and then used the same router bit that I had used for the bead detail on the drawers to make a  bead molding. Could not come up with ebony, so I used what was laying around: Bloodwood. Even without a finish, it shows nice chatoyance.  

Once again, turning lemons into lemonade!

Beautiful design change!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Ha! That looks great! I wondered why you didn't do that to begin with.

[Image: 50334991077_1dd6b58ec4_z.jpg]01DF6A39-812A-4993-9C88-460C2A2C08A6_1_105_c by Hank Knight, on Flickr
Bill/Hank: Thanks!

Hank: the original plans from Garrett Hack called for a molding similar to the one I used, but he applied the molding prior to doing the joinery on the door frame: seemed a little too complex, so I decided to go the simple Shaker route. As they say, its all good at this point. I will definitely consider this detail on my next build.
Cool move - nice save!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I have said before that I stay a lot more relaxed woodworking by following the credo of a long passed mentor from years ago.

"It's not a mistake unless someone saw it happen, or you can't fix it.  Until then, consider it a learning experience or an flexible design change."

Big Grin

Nice recovery

I had a rocker in my woodshop at the old farm... For Just These Moments.
Rock, drink a soda or coffee, and plan the next move.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.