Railing question
Continuing on with the porch railing I have to put on. I was walking downtown and looking at some buildings there when an idea hit, but I don't know if it would meet building code or if there are issues I may not be thinking about.

Instead of balusters can I use plexiglass? Would give a nice, clean look to the railing, and would allow a less obstructed view. Spacing between the posts is < 6', and height of the plexiglass would be about 2' 0" to 2' 4" (not sure about height yet).
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
I don't know about the legality of it code wise, but I would be worried about it developing a haze or film after a summer or two.  Even if it didn't, keeping it clean might turn into a real pain.
(04-29-2020, 04:39 PM)Scouter Wrote: Continuing on with the porch railing I have to put on. I was walking downtown and looking at some buildings there when an idea hit, but I don't know if it would meet building code or if there are issues I may not be thinking about.

Instead of balusters can I use plexiglass? Would give a nice, clean look to the railing, and would allow a less obstructed view. Spacing between the posts is < 6', and height of the plexiglass would be about 2' 0" to 2' 4" (not sure about height yet).

Fiberon decking had a clear rail system
(04-29-2020, 05:08 PM)fixtureman Wrote: Fiberon decking had a clear rail system

Any idea what they used for the clear section - plexiglass, glass?
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(04-29-2020, 05:12 PM)Scouter Wrote: Any idea what they used for the clear section - plexiglass, glass?

Tempered glass can be used instead of balusters on balustrades.  The price likely will curl your eyelids though.  I'm not sure what the codes are with respect to exterior stairways, but with interior ones the top of the handrail must fall at 34 - 38" above the nose of the tread.   Also, the wind load on a big sheet of glass on an exterior stairway is going to require very heavy duty newel posts and anchoring.  

John
(04-29-2020, 06:08 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Tempered glass can be used instead of balusters on balustrades.  The price likely will curl your eyelids though.  I'm not sure what the codes are with respect to exterior stairways, but with interior ones the top of the handrail must fall at 34 - 38" above the nose of the tread.   Also, the wind load on a big sheet of glass on an exterior stairway is going to require very heavy duty newel posts and anchoring.  

John

Apropos timing, we just had a windstorm come through. Back to the drawing board.
Mike

(04-29-2020, 06:08 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Tempered glass can be used instead of balusters on balustrades.  The price likely will curl your eyelids though.  I'm not sure what the codes are with respect to exterior stairways, but with interior ones the top of the handrail must fall at 34 - 38" above the nose of the tread.   Also, the wind load on a big sheet of glass on an exterior stairway is going to require very heavy duty newel posts and anchoring.  

John

Wonder if this would solve the problem.

[Image: xdeck-glass-railings-panels.jpg.pagespee...jVsW7Y.jpg]
Mike

I've seen tempered glass panels on decks down at the lake. 3' long then a space etc etc

Ck your codes
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I think it was polycarbonate or Lexan
Tempered glazing may be used.

The building code has a section on it and all the requirements. Stairs need a handrail and if above 30", need a guard rail up to 42".
The guard rail must withstand certain forces.