Railing question
(04-29-2020, 06:51 PM)Scouter Wrote: Wonder if this would solve the problem.

[Image: xdeck-glass-railings-panels.jpg.pagespee...jVsW7Y.jpg]

That will solve the wind load problem but the spaces between look like a lot more than 4", which is the code most places.  

John
(04-30-2020, 08:01 AM)jamesglenn Wrote: Tempered glazing may be used.

The building code has a section on it and all the requirements. Stairs need a handrail and if above 30", need a guard rail up to 42".
The guard rail must withstand certain forces.

The codes I've read talk about a lateral force to the handrail.  It's not all that much, something like 200 lbs, and it's not sustained.  Wind load on a solid piece of glass for hours at a time is an entirely different situation.  I have seen glass used on balconies and exterior stairways, so there must be another set of codes for them; I just don't know what or where they are.  

John
My brother-in-law put up glass (large sheets).  It met code in New Jersey.  But if you need a rail, then it might be high up and cleaning both sides might be an issue.

Cable solves that issue.  But horizontal cable may not be to code as children can climb up the horizontal wires.  Where I live horizontal slats are prohibited for that reason, but I don't know if cable is or not.

To install cable your posts have to be very sturdy or they will pull to the side as you tighten the cables.

Black mesh fence wire becomes invisible at a distance. It is cheap and easy to install.

Deer fencing is available in black and would be strong enough in my opinion.  Check with local code.

If you are stapling on mesh and you want to get it tight this is how to do it.

1. Create the frames. 
  2. Lay them on a flat surface.
  3. Place two frames so that they are end to end.
  4. Staple the mesh onto the far ends so that one piece of mesh is attached to two frames.
  5. Fold up one of the frames and insert a 3/4" board between the frames
  6. Let the frame down on the ground. 
  7. This will stretch the mesh tight from end to end.
  8. Add the staples around the entire perimeter of both frames. 
  9. Remove the piece of 3/4" stock
  10. Cut the mesh so that you have two separate frames.
  11. Install the frames between posts.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-30-2020, 09:27 AM)jteneyck Wrote: The codes I've read talk about a lateral force to the handrail.  It's not all that much, something like 200 lbs, and it's not sustained.  Wind load on a solid piece of glass for hours at a time is an entirely different situation.  I have seen glass used on balconies and exterior stairways, so there must be another set of codes for them; I just don't know what or where they are.  

John

Section 1015 of International Building Code notes the use of glazing and then refers to Section 2407. I have never used them on a project and cannot speak to what it requires, but you are correct in that the wind load on a large sheet should be considered.
(04-30-2020, 09:22 AM)jteneyck Wrote: That will solve the wind load problem but the spaces between look like a lot more than 4", which is the code most places.  

John

It's hard to see, but the spaces are narrow, the panels are wider. Optical delusion.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
There are transparent railing systems. I have no idea what the cost would be, but all the ones I've seen look every expensive. A friend did a railing that was PVC painted black over rebar for the balusters. A lot of work to drill round mortises for each baluster, but it looked quite good when it was done.

(04-30-2020, 12:07 PM)Scouter Wrote: It's hard to see, but the spaces are narrow, the panels are wider. Optical delusion.

Boy golly you are right.  I saw it the other way around.  

John
(04-29-2020, 04:39 PM)Scouter Wrote: Continuing on with the porch railing I have to put on. I was walking downtown and looking at some buildings there when an idea hit, but I don't know if it would meet building code or if there are issues I may not be thinking about.

Instead of balusters can I use plexiglass? Would give a nice, clean look to the railing, and would allow a less obstructed view. Spacing between the posts is < 6', and height of the plexiglass would be about 2' 0" to 2' 4" (not sure about height yet).

Menard's sells a version of a clear balusters.  I like the look especially if you have a nice view.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
A house in our development has the clear front. Not sure what it’s made of. It looks odd aesthetically pleasing.. I think because driving by we see the face of the house whereas balusters break that up. Maybe at a cabin I could understand them