Pin nailers - do I need 2”
Pretty much what it says in the title. I have an 18ga brad nailer, and every so often I get tired of filling nail holes. I’m going to get a pin nailer, probably a Grex or a Cadex (I get about an hour’s worth of woodworking time a year, so ... yeah), but I can’t decide which model. Do I need 2” pins? I don’t think I ever used 2” brads, so why would I care?

Help!
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
(04-29-2020, 11:24 PM)abernat Wrote: Pretty much what it says in the title. I have an 18ga brad nailer, and every so often I get tired of filling nail holes. I’m going to get a pin nailer, probably a Grex or a Cadex (I get about an hour’s worth of woodworking time a year, so ... yeah), but I can’t decide which model. Do I need 2” pins? I don’t think I ever used 2” brads, so why would I care?

Help!

I have a HF pin nailer, it does not shoot anything that long and I've never had a need for anything even close to that length.  I think the longest I've ever shot is around 1" max length.  I couldn't see putting a lot of $$ into an expensive unit, and the HF unit has done what I needed when I needed it to be done.
I also have the HF unit. I couldn't justify going spendy on a Grex.

In the 10 years that I've had a pin nailer, I have never needed a pin longer than one inch. I only use the spinner fo smaller, more delicate work.
I bought a Grex,  but I just couldn't figure out a time I would want 2" pins...so mine goes to 1 3/8" (I think). Even then, I seldom use anything over 1".
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have the  23 gauge pin nailer, not the HF, and I think if you find something that can shoot 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches, you should be fine.
I rarely, if ever use anything longer than 1" pins in mine.  If I need something much longer, then I think it calls for a brad.  Pins have very little holding power.  I would imagine that driving a 2" pin through and into hardwood would be prone to blowout.  Heck, even 2" brads blow out enough to warrant caution using them.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Bostitch, $150.00 at Lowes

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bostitch-2-in-2...lsrc=aw.ds
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-30-2020, 07:02 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I rarely, if ever use anything longer than 1" pins in mine.  If I need something much longer, then I think it calls for a brad.  Pins have very little holding power.  I would imagine that driving a 2" pin through and into hardwood would be prone to blowout.  Heck, even 2" brads blow out enough to warrant caution using them.

Almost no holding power at all, but are good for keeping molding from sliding out of position during glue ups. 

I usually just drive a wire brad into the back of the molding and then trim the brad so only about 1/16" - 1/8" is proud of the surface.  When I clamp the molding the little bit of nail bites in and prevents the molding from slipping out of position.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
99% of time I shoot 1 1/4 and 1 3/8. I mostly use them to hold stuff like templates in pace or pieces until I can drive home a screw or clamp a part up. I don't really use them for anything by themselves. Most of the time in plywood templates i just break off the pins by a rocking motion.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Longest I use is 1 3/8 in a PC pinner.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone