How would you build this?
I'm looking to make a mission-style AV cabinet to hold my pile of electronics. The cabinet (linky: https://www.cdrackshoppe.com/TVGD-48.html) has a fascinating door style that would let me hide the gear without putting in some sort of IR remote workaround. Has anyone made a inset door like that? How would you do it? I'm guessing the linked cabinet just cut it out of MDF and shrinkwrapped it in plastic veneer, but that's boring!

Mortise and tenon of the small pieces? Jigsawed single panel?
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
I'd probably do that with traditional muntins and either saw or bend the verticals at the top. I would also make the top rail with an arch in it instead of the straight rail like they did.
(05-02-2020, 02:00 PM)abernat Wrote: I'm looking to make a mission-style AV cabinet to hold my pile of electronics. The cabinet (linky: https://www.cdrackshoppe.com/TVGD-48.html) has a fascinating door style that would let me hide the gear without putting in some sort of IR remote workaround. Has anyone made a inset door like that? How would you do it? I'm guessing the linked cabinet just cut it out of MDF and shrinkwrapped it in plastic veneer, but that's boring!

Mortise and tenon of the small pieces? Jigsawed single panel?

IMO – looking at the picture closely I believe the “muntins” are actually not individual pieces, but the entire muntin assembly is instead a single panel from which the muntins are cut out (probably by a CNC machine). You could cut them out using a scroll saw – or if it were me, I would make a template of the entire muntin panel and use my router (or router table) to cut them out.  You could “jazz” them up a bit by routing over the edges with a roundover bit – or better yet a bead and cove bit (which would be easiest on a router table for stability).

After which the muntin “panel” could simply be inserted into a standard rail and stile cabinet frame (just like a raised panel door). I suspect the glass simply fits up against the back-side of the muntin panel.
I don't think the door is inset. There's a skirt around the case which makes it appear to be inset. The muntins do appear to be made out of one solid piece. It's probably a 1/4" panel that is built up from solid wood then the window openings just cut out. You could use MDF or ply and veneer it before cutting out for the windows, but then you would need to apply veneer to the show edges. You could also make the right and left portions separately, then biscuit joint or spline in the middle rails. Depends on what tools you have available.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill