unisaw information/manual
Hey folks, friend of mines kid who is just getting into woodworking scored a dream hit by finding what we think is a 70's era unisaw. Reportedly retired from a local school system.

Fence is in great shape, has a sweet table out to the side with lower shelf, no rust, but, no power cord.

So, is there a resource where using model # or something he can find a manual or any schematics for how to hook up the cord?

What are the chances of finding a .pdf users manual?

(punk) kid found it for $250!!! He sucks!! lol

He showed me a video of loading it at the sellers house and someone called a tow-truck to lift it into the bed of his F150. He shared that with even a couple of his friends (all late 20's somethings) there were some choice words and grunts...as you would expect it's a tank.

Sorry to post this as a definite redundant question but did y'all know doing a topic search on here for Unisaw makes my CPU smoke??

Thanks in advance.
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
(05-08-2020, 04:05 PM)EricBruns Wrote: Hey folks, friend of mines kid who is just getting into woodworking scored a dream hit by finding what we think is a 70's era unisaw. Reportedly retired from a local school system.

Fence is in great shape, has a sweet table out to the side with lower shelf, no rust, but, no power cord.

So, is there a resource where using model # or something he can find a manual or any schematics for how to hook up the cord?

What are the chances of finding a .pdf users manual?

(punk) kid found it for $250!!! He sucks!! lol

He showed me a video of loading it at the sellers house and someone called a tow-truck to lift it into the bed of his F150. He shared that with even a couple of his friends (all late 20's somethings) there were some choice words and grunts...as you would expect it's a tank.

Sorry to post this as a definite redundant question but did y'all know doing a topic search on here for Unisaw makes my CPU smoke??

Thanks in advance.

If it came from a school I’d bet it’s weight in dollars that it’s a 3 phase machine. If so, your cpu is going to be smoking even more doing the research for a phase converter (rotary or static) or a VFD.
Check out : http://vintagemachinery.org/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-08-2020, 04:47 PM)jlanciani Wrote: If it came from a school I’d bet it’s weight in dollars that it’s a 3 phase machine. If so, your cpu is going to be smoking even more doing the research for a phase converter (rotary or static) or a VFD.

Just occurred to me this was one of the pictures he sent me. Does this offer a clue for single-phase or triple-phase?

Attached Files Image(s)

Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
I evidently never thought to look at the fine print in this picture, it does appear to say "3 ph" - am I seeing that right?
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Y’all are gonna need electronics to run this 3Phase baby.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(05-08-2020, 06:01 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Y’all are gonna need electronics to run this 3Phase baby.

Thanks everybody.
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Yep... 3 phase. Not the end of the world but a VFD, static/rotary phase converter is going to bump things up.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Being 3 phase is a good/bad thing. He will need something to power it, and a VFD is the more common choice. This won't be a huge complication...but it will be one nonetheless. The guys over at OWWM sear that 3 phase is a better deal, the motors are more simple to work on....and that is true. Of course he could chose to replAce the motor with a single phase, for somewhat more money.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-09-2020, 05:36 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Being 3 phase is a good/bad thing. He will need something to power it, and a VFD is the more common choice. This won't be a huge complication...but it will be one nonetheless. The guys over at OWWM sear that 3 phase is a better deal, the motors are more simple to work on....and that is true. Of course he could chose to replAce the motor with a single phase, for somewhat more money.

Based upon a little research so far, it seems the 3 phase offers less draw on electrical resources in use. Does it translate to any more actual power when actually putting saw blade through wood? I've seen someone else say motor replacement is possible but don't have an idea yet what the cost difference would be for VFD -v- new motor.

As always you guys are a helpful repository of information. Glad to know you're here!
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist