Bench Build: Final-All Done
With the last post, I left off with the major bench construction finished and the bench sitting right side up. Now it's time to finish and put it to work.
So what needs to be done? The uneven ends need to be trimmed, the top planed to make it as flat as I can get it, and finally apply a finish to the surface.
Since the top had some glue squeeze out and uneven areas, I decided it was probably best to take care of that first. Using several planes I evened the surface and corrected some twist.

Both ends of the bench needed to be trimmed next. I started by marking a knife wall on both the top and bottom of the surface at both ends of the bench.

Then with a handsaw started sawing:

Almost done:

And done:

On the right side of the bench, I didn't quite get it straight and ended up with a ridge. (Yeah, I still can't saw straight! Really frustrating!) Since I knew this would bother me if I left it alone, using a handplane I leveled it as much as I could.

Next, following Adam's advice, I sealed the end grain right away in order to slow down moisture absorption.

And as you've probably already noticed, I've added the Veritas twins screw vise, straddling the left leg. And then put a finish on the top. 
And here's the finished bench, in the spot where it's going to be used, and  ready for the first project.

Well Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the update. Very nice.
I have been watching for this post!  I know the word awesome is over-used, but that is the right word for this bench.  I can't wait to build mine, but my list of home projects has been neglected for too long.

Thanks for taking the time to document this, and so much of the thought process involved.
Steve
Very Nice. Appreciated the build-along. Well Done!
Cool
Cool
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Congrats. Looking good.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(05-09-2020, 08:37 AM)Master-of-None Wrote: With the last post, I left off with the major bench construction finished and the bench sitting right side up. Now it's time to finish and put it to work.
So what needs to be done? The uneven ends need to be trimmed, the top planed to make it as flat as I can get it, and finally apply a finish to the surface.
Since the top had some glue squeeze out and uneven areas, I decided it was probably best to take care of that first. Using several planes I evened the surface and corrected some twist.

Both ends of the bench needed to be trimmed next. I started by marking a knife wall on both the top and bottom of the surface at both ends of the bench.

Then with a handsaw started sawing:

Almost done:

And done:

On the right side of the bench, I didn't quite get it straight and ended up with a ridge. (Yeah, I still can't saw straight! Really frustrating!) Since I knew this would bother me if I left it alone, using a handplane I leveled it as much as I could.

Next, following Adam's advice, I sealed the end grain right away in order to slow down moisture absorption.

And as you've probably already noticed, I've added the Veritas twins screw vise, straddling the left leg. And then put a finish on the top. 
And here's the finished bench, in the spot where it's going to be used, and  ready for the first project.

nice bench!! nothing like working on a solid bench. what are you going to use as a planing stop?    jerry
Very well done!!  Thanks for a great series/build.

Cool
Cool
Cool
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Thank you all for the very nice comments.

Jerry, to answer your question, I use what Jim Tolpin has called a "face planing stop." See the two pictures below. It's like a bench hook in a way, it's held by the vise and I butt the board that I'm planing against it. If the board is actually thinner than the planing stop, I put a thin piece of wood under the board I'm planing and then raise the edge of the planing stop in the vise to just catch the bottom of my board. I think the pictures make it clear.

If the board is long and needs additional support, I use a batten. It's very easy to use and is surprisingly good at holding it in place.  Mike Siemsen shows that and additional ideas in his YouTube posts.

The final way I hold my pieces securely, and this is for larger pieces, is the way Paul Sellers showed. You hold the piece in a clamp and then hold that clamp in a vise. Also works very well.
Very classy and clean looking.  

I like your plane stop/hook.  I need one of those for my bench.