Large jointer planes
I seen one along time ago here or in a picture or something.  It was something like 6' or 7' long.
I have been thinking it would be great to use for small projects or wood that needs to be trimmed just a bit or easier then running the plane over the whole edge or end or side.

Has anyone ever made one or had one??

O it just came to me it was on the WoodWright show and one end was on the floor and it leaned up and was held in the vise.

Would it be easy to make???
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
6’ to 7pm for small projects?
Arlin means like this (used as a Cooper's Plane) ...

[Image: CoopersJointer_html_6c10fae1.jpg]

I built this plane several years ago, but it is only 36" long with a 3" wide blade (seen alongside a Stanley #7) ...

[Image: CoopersJointer_html_m36d2149a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Yah Derek that is what I am taking about.

Did you make that one??
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-09-2020, 08:06 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Yah Derek that is what I am taking about.

Did you make that one??

Yes.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...inter.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I don't know how small "small" is for you, but a jointer only needs to be 1.5 to 2x longer than the longest piece you'll ever need to join. A 6 foot long jointer could easily joint pieces 3-4 feet long.

Edit: This is wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. See subsequent posts.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-10-2020, 10:02 AM)AHill Wrote: I don't know how small "small" is for you, but a jointer only needs to be 1.5 to 2x longer than the longest piece you'll ever need to join.  A 6 foot long jointer could easily joint pieces 3-4 feet long.

I trued a piece of white oak that was 3 X 5 X 112 inches yesterday. We don't need a plane to be longer than the timber. 

For very small pieces a smoothing plane in the vise works fine.
(05-10-2020, 10:13 AM)wmickley Wrote: I trued a piece of white oak that was 3 X 5 X 112 inches yesterday. We don't need a plane to be longer than the timber. 

And for planing a slight hollow, like for edge jointing, it helps if the plane is shorter than the workpiece.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
A Cooper's Jointer plane was for planing the edges of the barrel staves....Usually had two legs attached to the "high" end.    They could fold up alongside the plane, for when the Cooper needed to move it about.    Legs and plane would make a tripod set up.

When you do find one in the wild...usually the legs are long gone.   There would be a hole through the body, for a bolt to attach the legs with.  Legs would have a bevel at the bolt, so when you set the plane up, the legs would splay out a bit.   Sometimes, there was a small chain between the legs, to keep them from splaying out too far. 

Don Wilwol has such a plane, sitting above the French Doors of his house.    About 6' long.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Quote: I don't know how small "small" is for you, but a jointer only needs to be 1.5 to 2x longer than the longest piece you'll ever need to join. A 6 foot long jointer could easily joint pieces 3-4 feet long.
I’m thinking this is backwards...for jointing, the workpiece can be twice as long as the plane, from what I’ve seen/worked with.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp